Mast spreaders missing?

Apr 3, 2016
Macgregor Venture 21 Brunswick Maine
I'm considering buying a well-usedVenture 21 (supposedly 1990) and the mast does not have spreaders, but a large bolt through the mast holding the side stays. Are there any V21 rigs that do not have spreaders? I'm thinking this is a "modification" that would compromise the integrity of the mast. Thanks for any comments.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
EDIT - Others have pointed out that his boat indeed came this way!

Spreaders do two things; beyond widening the shroud base which reduces needed shroud tension; each set of spreaders breaks up the length of un-supported mast section. A typical small-boat mast will be supported in three places; the base, the hounds (where the shrouds terminate near the top), and the spreaders. Not having spreaders means one of two things; if the shrouds were left at the top then the whole middle is unsupported, or if they were moved to were the spreaders were then the top is unsupported.

Mast sections are sized to depended on this support. So the mast is in danger for sure.

N.B. - Some boats ARE designed with shrouds that run directly from deck to masttop; the New Beneteau First 25 and most small catamarans for instance. But these boats will have a set of small diamond stays that attached only to the mast on each side of a very small set of spreaders. This setup add the needed strength of the middle section of the mast.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
upload_2016-4-3_10-32-54.png
Photo of a 68 model with no spreaders. It may seem that the loads on the unsupported section of the mast are relatively low.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
We also had '68 V-21. No spreaders. However if one were to go with bigger headsails or spinnaker this might be a consideration. 21 has good sailplan and under right conditions will go light a bat out H...! Enjoy.

Apr 3, 2016
Macgregor Venture 21 Brunswick Maine
I appreciate the comments. It sounds like spreaders were not required on some rigging schemes. Did these have side stays to the masthead as well as part way up, or just a single side stay? Anyone know when they became part of the standard V21 rigging? I'm trying to figure out if this boat is an accident waiting to happen. The seller owned it for a couple of years and is not an experienced sailor, though he says it sailed just fine.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm considering buying a well-usedVenture 21 (supposedly 1990) and the mast does not have spreaders, but a large bolt through the mast holding the side stays. Are there any V21 rigs that do not have spreaders? I'm thinking this is a "modification" that would compromise the integrity of the mast. Thanks for any comments.
Sailboatdata.com doesn't show spreaders on the Venture 21... they could have been added to the second generation Mac21... do more research.
The VENTURE 21 was the first (mono-hull) yacht built by MacGregor Yachts. It was updated and renamed MACGREGOR 21 in 1980.
Venture 21

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Awesome to know!

I'd only seen one and it had spreaders. And I hadn't heard of V21 masts falling down left and right, so I'll assume they spec'ed it to withstand the loading.

The jib-only sailplan helps a lot.. It allows the shroud base to run out to the edge off the deck. This wide base will help with loading on the shrouds.

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
It is funny what you don't notice! I never noticed that photo doesn't have spreaders with upper shrouds!

I wonder if it was after 1974 that that rig was added... I have a '74 V21 (#712) and it has both shrouds. It also has been modified at the deck edge with stainless strips for attaching the upper strouds. That are mounted just like the originals, perpendicular to the centerline at the mast base. There is also an apparent repair to the cabin top at the mast base where it tore the glass...I'd now guess in a demasting with the original lower shroud-only rigging. Maybe there was an issue with the original design...or someone was using larger sails...or had deck rot issues at the tabernacle? Hmmmm...maybe a newer replacement mast was bought after the change...

Another thing I notice in the brochure photos is the sail plan:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=137
They are rigged as a cutter with a second shorter, mid-mast forestay and are running a small jib on that inner stay, not the longer one attached at the bow. It is a small jib and looks to be designed for that setup...and the associated sketch shows a spinnaker flying from the mast top. Does anyone sail using both forestays in a cutter sail plan, say with a 110 or larger genoa on the forward stay?

Thanks!