Mast sheaves

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Just bought an Oday 302, had it for a month and pulled it out of the water for winter. I do fresh water sailing on Lake Michigan. New to sailing and boat owner ship. Looking to do s few things this winter. Looking to replace the mast sheaves and install a new roller furler. Anyone know how to replace the mast sheaves without stepping the mast. Unable to step the mast. Any recommendations on roller furler. Also like to do this without stepping the mast. Photo of mast head. Any help welcome

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I think you will find that both of these jobs are easiest when the mast is unstepped, so I'd do them over the Winter before stepping the mast next Spring. I'm confused about your comment "unable to step mast", because you really are best to do the work while the mast is unstepped for the Winter, that way there is no tension on the rigging and while installing the furler you won't need to hoist anyone up the mast to take measurements. Replacing the masthead sheaves is easier with the mast unstepped since you can more easily pull the halyards away from the sheaves while doing so, if done with the mast stepped you have gravity working against you, plus again, the need to hoist someone up the mast to do the work. With the mast unstepped, if you drop a tool or one of the sheaves (or worse the axel pin) it will fall a lot farther and who knows where it may land, with the mast unstepped it falls to the ground right under where you are working, maybe 2-3'. A lot easier to find it. As I say, as long as your mast is unstepped, now is the time to do it, I agree, I would not want to step the mast before this is done, do it while the mast is unstepped.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
+1 for unstepping the mast. Beside making everything easier and safer, I can't imagine how you would replace the furler without bringing it down.

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Thanks for the responsives, I would agree taking the mast down wound be easer. I am in the boatyard for the winter several boats deep. Not sure the boatyard would move all the boats around to take my mast down. I have four sheaves on my masthead. I was thinking I could change out three sheaves and then use The other halyard to change out the last. Just wounder if this is something that can be done or is it just to daunting of a task with the mast up.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks for the responsives, I would agree taking the mast down wound be easer. I am in the boatyard for the winter several boats deep. Not sure the boatyard would move all the boats around to take my mast down. I have four sheaves on my masthead. I was thinking I could change out three sheaves and then use The other halyard to change out the last. Just wounder if this is something that can be done or is it just to daunting of a task with the mast up.
If your boat is already on the hard, your marina may not allow you to climb the mast. Mine discourages it.

Greg

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Looking at your photo it appears that the sheaves are down inside the aluminum tube of the mast. If that is correct, the masthead will need to be removed from the mast tube in order to remove the pins, so it will not be possible to remove any sheaves with the masthead in place.

On my C30 the sheaves are on top of the casting, so you could remove the two forward sheaves while being supported by the two aft halyards and vise-versa.

Attachments