Mast rigging for a 216

Bob D.

Feb 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Saint Marys, GA
I had severe damage from the last hurricane that rolled through here (Irma). I'm just trying to get the Hunter 216 boat functional again and piece everything back together again. Can someone help me with what the bracket is used for at the top of the mast - see picture? Also, I think this other attachment is perhaps the topping lift line and some sort of swivel connector. Where should that be connected and does this look like the topping lift line?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The black object is a Harken upper swivel for a small sailboat furling system. Go to boat info, click on hunter, click on 216, click on download for 2008 owner manual and look there toward end for system. You should have other pieces to that.

The other is a masthead and the kind thru it is the main halyard. Pleas look at the manual and be more definitive as to questions and then I will hep you further
Crazy dave

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Dave is right - the black swivel is the top swivel for the jib furler - the jib luff wire is the forestay on the 216, the swivel connects it to the short wire attached to the mast. the drum for the forestay/furler attaches to the foredeck bow fitting and the jib tack.
the u strap at the side of the mast top is for the topping lift

Bob D.

Feb 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Saint Marys, GA
Thanks Chuck and Dave. This really helps. Yeah, the friggin' luff wire was snapped in half along with tang bracket on the mast, of course the jib was shredded. I've since replaced the tang and made a new jib (bought a sail kit that simply had to be sewn together) with the luff wire sewn in. Now I remember the swivel was off the pigtail at the head of the jib off the luff wire. I'll have a look at the manual.. yeah rtfm! I'm anxious to get the boat in the water the step the mast and I hope my luff wire is the correct length, etc. Appreciate your help guys.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
look at the bright side - we're about 3 months from launch - the harbor doesn't even open until may 15th!