Mast repair for my 1982 Hunter 22

Aug 10, 2015
Hunter 22 Lake Nockamixon
I made a serious mistake lowering mast and the end result is a mast that is now broke in half. Any ideas on how to go about repairing or finding replacement? We sail this on a small inland lake; nothing very heavy

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
You may try one of the many marine salvage yards, Shipping may be expensive if it's coming from a distance. I was looking at a Catalina 30 last summer that had its mast repaired. The owner had the boat for the last 5 yrs. and this repair was done long before he bought it. Claimed he never had an issue with it. I didn't get a up close look at it, but through a binoculars it appeared to be 1/4" aluminum sleeve screwed to the mast. Apparently the mast broke where the spreaders attach. The boat had way to many other issues that I didn't want to get into.
catalina mast spreader close up copy.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A repaired mast is like a bone it is unlikely it might break again at the same place. You are not too far from the East Coast. Check for a boat yard that can do the repair. With the damaged sections cut out a sleeve can be welded to splice the ends to the original length of the mast.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I might move this post to the small boat section, hoping Crazy Dave will see it. If you go the route to have a collar welded on you may be able to get one for your exact extrusion cross section from the mast manufacturer, assuming this is even doable and would be strong enough. These older Hunters seem to have had several mast manufacturers, some of whom changed hands over time, and he is very good at knowing who now owns what. There also seem to be some specialty companies that stock (or can have fabricated) rigging replacement parts.

Another (long shot) is to hope you can find a 22 that has a hull in very bad shape, but a decent mast. If it is close enough and you can figure out how to move it (maybe by towing your trailer/hull as the "carrier"), and can get a deal, it may be worth it. It'd have to be the same exact mast, or maybe come with all the matching rigging, boom, etc. as usable.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
rick221
I am a former Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter, ComPac, MacGregor,Preision and so on dealer now retired but mostly Hunter, Catalina and Precision. Also I was a reconstruction expert/investigator for insurance companies.
The mast broken in half, if there was a sleeve that exactly fit the inside of your mast, then possibly it could be sleeved but there isn't. I believe the mast you had was a Kenyon isomat but they are long gone and without going into it, I would research Charleston Spar/Sparcraft or go to sparcraft-us.com
If you look on the website and call them, see if they can reproduce that mast. Also you may want to contact Rigrit (not sure of spelling) as they represent Sparcraft and specialize with Hunter masts. Otherwise you will have to build a mast and may have to either be able to use the standing rigging the way it is, or have to replace it/reconditition it to fit the mast. Sparcraft is located in Charlotte, NC

Use of another mast made by someone else, you will have to replace the mast foot.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
You can put a Hobie mast on it 25' tall about the same as what's there but you will have to get the swivel base and modify to mount cabin top and modify rigging a lot of Catalina 22's do that for speed ,cat 16 mast usually $100 on Craig's list

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hobie mast on the 22 is not a good idea. I saw it done and the mast somehow came off the swivel mast base under sail. Also you are dealing with a monohull, not dual hulls.