Mast Raising Systems

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
The ideas sailors come up with are widely diverse. This one is clever. The lines run thru the shroud turnbuckles and rings are still the most practical IMO. It is simple, quick and can be left in place until convenient to remove. Using the main halyard to put tension on the stay lines and a short line to hold them to the mast really works well.
James

Attachments

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
After launching and tying up to slip I set up and tried the single handed gin pole mast raising system. It was not pretty. The boat in the water is too susceptible to listing from side to side with wind, waves and my fat ass moving around. So the gin pole to mast connection has to be rock solid secured cause if not it will lean. After a couple of tries I gave up "single handed" and had to have the mate on deck holding the gin pole steady.
admittedly my pole to mast hook up was not as elaborate as others I've seen posted. Mine was too insecure and did not work without help. At this point I think the best for me is the A-frame because of its steadiness when the boat rocks. A more carefully built elaborate gin pole base to mast construct may solve that issue. However for me the simplicity of the A-frame build / assembly for on water single handed stepping will be the way I'll go. I will try to make the a-frame a little smaller, shorter, lighter, storable and more portable. I didn’t get many pics because the mate had to stop photos and come aboard to help steady things up.
James

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Looks like you did it right so you are probably correct to go to an A frame for your application. Chief

Feb 2, 2007
-Catalina 22 Wheeling WV
Our 22 "Last Chance" is new to us and we have successfully raised and lowered the mast on land twice. Each time we used a 2"x6"x8' gin pole. The first time we did not have baby stays, the second we did. Without the baby stays we felt it was important to have a second set of hands on deck. With the additional help of the stays I could have easily raised and lowered the mast single handed. The only hassle is when something gets snagged, our experience was the stays getting caught on the camper top snaps. The gin pole method works great, very little cost, but a little time consuming.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I used the stays for both types (gin pole, A-frame) in the water the gin pole w stays still got scary single hand using a cockpit winch. Having the time and inclination to make a tight fitting and securable gin pole is not something I want to invest in. The simpler a-frame helps the stays steady things up and is more stable in the water when the boat list. On land and with wife to crank trailer winch attached to jib halyard I just walk it up. But I want to have a system to single hand on the water from the cockpit. So far the a-frame has worked better. James

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Well the same could be said for the C22......

Nevertheless, for many, myself included, mechanical advantage has become necessary for safety so we don't injure ourselves or damage our boats. In any event, I don't know what size the boat in the video is, but I found that guy's website http://www.mastmate.com.au/ and he has a list of boats that are using the system. The Catalina 22 and the Boomaroo are both on the list and he claims that it will work with most trailerables up to 25'.

Wish I could tell more about how it works from the videos, but it seems like a good alternative if you must stow it aboard since there is no pole to deal with. His telescoping mast crutch the TallMate is pretty cool too.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
I get asked over on my blog how I raise my mast and I've tried to describe it here a couple times over the years but most people have a hard time visualizing how I use the boom as a gin pole together with the main sheet.

I've been planning today's blog post for a couple of years now and I had the time during this year's spring splashing to shoot some nice video footage. Then this thread came along (again) but the post-production work wasn't finished on the videos.

Well I'm happy to announce that it's all completed and was published early this morning. Today's blog post is a rather thorough essay of:

• The background behind how I chose this method and why
  • How I secure the rig for trailering with a DIY pulpit saddle, cabin top brace, and telescoping mast crutch using a few motorcycle straps and ball cords
  • How I rig the boom as a gin pole with a simple tab at the mast step plate and two snap-on guy cords
  • How I can then raise the mast almost with one hand by reusing the main sheet snapped between the boom end and the stem plate
  • How I usually raise the mast single-handed without any gin pole and just the main sheet, even on the water
The best part is that each topic is accompanied by an HD video shot by yours truly at beautiful Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho back in early June. Several of the videos have a separate narration track so I can clearly explain what's going on and why. They're not pro quality, but they turned out pretty good considering there was zero budget and I have a day job and a life.

So I invite all those interested in learning an alternative, quick, low-fuss way of raising and lowering your mast to check it out. Just click the picture above. As I say in the post, it's not for everybody but you might find a couple ideas you can use. Questions and constructive comments are welcome.

Oh, and for those with a physical impairment, don't feel discouraged. I've blown out both my shoulders, have herniated disks, and broke my back. This method can help with your situation too.

For new subscribers (free), I'm offering a fabrication drawing with a materials list for my mast crutch AND a two-page prep and launch checklist as my thanks for signing up.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Hey Jacomo Sailor,
I like your system. Question for you and others who have made their mast raising systems; does not look like any of these use the ~ 1" hole in the mast that the Catalina system uses, yes? They just cinch to the mast, correct?
Thanks
cec

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I have a pre 85 boat so there isn't a hole in the mast and I wasn't willing to drill one, so I went the clamp on route. Seems to work fine.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Refitted my a-frame with a better bolt connect point for jib halyard and anchor line / stem / block set up. I had to raise and lower the mast twice while on the water to unconfused lines and repair mast light. It works like a charm and I can single hand the operation from the cockpit on a sheet winch. I guess everybody has their own preferences but for me this is the best, easy, simplest and cheapest to make. Material was a couple of left over wall studs, recycled two feet of 1 x 6 board with some old carpet glued on, 7 x ½” , bolt, wing nut , washers and three links of 5/8 chain. It takes about 6-8 ft of ¼ line, two stainless rings, and the use of a couple of dock lines. I didn’t buy anything new just recycled stuff I had. If I had started with new material probably less that $10.00.
I am slow getting it set up because of my mobility issues but slow and steady gets it done and then up (or down) she goes.
I took her out sailing after all that was done. I am very pleased with how much better the boat sails and handles with my keel repaired, goofy upside down hangers replaced and bottom cleaned, faired, painted. I clipped right along close hauled in a 5-6 knot SW breeze. Man! What fun, peace and serenity. It is really good to have "Grace" back in the water where she belongs.
James

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
That sounds great James! So glad it all worked for you. A little trial and error factors in and helps us find the right approaches. My best, Chief

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
James, that is awesome news.
One step closer to being ready for your trip.

If you get a chance, post some detail photos of the final design.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Thanks for the info, Jacomo. Yes, if you could post some pics that would be great James. $10 sounds like a good price!
cec

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Thank you all. When I get the chance I'll get and post some pics. One other thing that would make it better is a opening block (one that opens to accept the line) to put the anchor line in the block attached to the bow cleat. Except that may increase the total cost over $20. lol
Catalanc: Don't know if my set up will work w/ MK-II. My boat and I are antique models. Maybe Leeward could advise.
I posted pics and a write up of my set and test of the prototype.
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=173103
This is the basic idea that could be modified to fit about any boat that I am familiar with.
James