Mast Raising Systems

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Yeah, it's a pretty neat place. I had a bunch of old odds and ends that I've collected over the years from my boats, and turned them over to the guy. He charges 50%, but I didn't have to waste a couple weekends at the swap meet, or waiting for Craigslist no-shows, and over the past couple months my cut was over $500.! :eek: So it was worth it to me, and gives me a reason to stop in and see what's new on the shelves, and that's when I spotted the mast raising system. They really didn't know exactly what they had. :D Don
Don: can you share the name of the consignment shop? I would like to check it out on my next trip to SD, which may be next weekend as I work through getting my mast repaired.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
HUGHES MARINE CONSIGNMENT AND SURPLUS
3602 Kurtzs St. San Diego, CA 92110

Tel: 619-377-6353

Business Hour:
Tuesday - Friday: 10:00am- 5:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 4:00pm
Closed on Monday

Just a nice guy trying to make a living recycling some nice marine supplies.

Don

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
HUGHES MARINE CONSIGNMENT AND SURPLUS 3602 Kurtzs St. San Diego, CA 92110 Tel: 619-377-6353 Business Hour: Tuesday - Friday: 10:00am- 5:00pm Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 4:00pm Closed on Monday Just a nice guy trying to make a living recycling some nice marine supplies. Don
THANK YOU! I'll check him out.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Thanks for the info Don. I love those types of places. I do everything I can to support the small guys. It will be on my list of places to visit next time I'm around San Diego.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
In the water singlehand mast stepping.

James has some plan for use on his boat during his trip on the great loop. Not which method it is, but he said it could be used on the water and had a way to stabilize the mast.
I am still designing / building and will test in the water at Bull Shoals Res.
S.V. Grace is an "old" model.
Basically the design criteria include:
1. Useable on the water single hand,
2. Onboard storable,
3. Simple set up / take down,
4. Light weight,
5. Inexpensive.
6. Durable enough for 2 year cruise (imagine that)
At present I am cueing off the tech manual's write ups for; A-frame, line and ring steadying bridle, A-frame mast crutch, and line / fairleads back to a cockpit winch.
I will gladly post a write up and pics as soon as built, tested, and I'm confident it'll work.
Suggestions always are welcomed.
James

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
…And the Oscar for most innovative camera work goes to Jacomo!... Nice videos.
Thanks James

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Great video! I've been planning on that same shot from the top of the mast next time I splash my boat but you beat me to it. Thanks for sharing.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Hi Gene
I purchased my winch from Northern Tool...it ratchets both ways and was around 20 dollars. While building your gin pole, keep in mind that there are hardly any "bending" loads on the pole. Most of the stress will be in compression removing the need for the pole to be "built like a bridge"! The basic function of the gin pole is to hold 2 opposing lines at an acute angle. Mine is simple, lightweight and functions perfectly. After using it twice, I can have the mast up in about 2 1/2 minutes...and never break a sweat!:)

Good Luck
Ken

P.S. Make sure you paint the gin pole to match that good looking new trailer!:):):):)
Thanks, Ken!

I like your design, I think I'll try to copy it (yours and T-cats). I work better with wood than other materials anyway. And I like the way yours is shaped to fit the mast. Did you have the luxury of a band saw to make those cuts, or did you use a jigsaw?

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Hi Gene
Sharlene and I travel full time so we spend about half the year in an RV. When we are in the motorhome, I am forced to use crude hand tools. All the cuts I made were done by a 15 dollar handheld sabre saw from Harbor Freight! From start to finish, I probably have about an hours work in my gin pole.

Ken

Thanks, Ken!

I like your design, I think I'll try to copy it (yours and T-cats). I work better with wood than other materials anyway. And I like the way yours is shaped to fit the mast. Did you have the luxury of a band saw to make those cuts, or did you use a jigsaw?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
And I like the way yours is shaped to fit the mast. Did you have the luxury of a band saw to make those cuts, or did you use a jigsaw?
For mine, I made a cardboard template with a compass, then traced it onto the wood and cut with a jigsaw. It fits very snug.
I suspect that having it cut to fit the mast nice and snug, it helps steady the mast.
I also think that you don't need clamps or straps that way. Since all the load is in compression, I can't see it sliding up or down and on the mast.
I wouldn't try it on the water without a bridle or something, but on land it works fine.

Ken: I know some guys who would take exception to the phrase "crude hand tools". The best stuff is built with them IMO. Fancy power tools just let you screw up faster. Lol

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Nice video. Mine is similar but made from a 2 x 4 and HF winch. I don't use a bridle either. I am surprised your forward lower shrouds were attached. I have been disconnecting mine.......maybe I don't need too.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
sometimes a jig saw is way better than a bandsaw.... i have a 20 inch band saw in my shop and some jobs require a jig saw over a bandsaw.... i use a bosch jig saw and it will be one of the tools i keep when i liquidate my shop

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Nice video. Mine is similar but made from a 2 x 4 and HF winch. I don't use a bridle either. I am surprised your forward lower shrouds were attached. I have been disconnecting mine.......maybe I don't need too.
It may not look like it in the videos, but the forward shrouds are not attached.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Roy
I'm sure you know this but I was just taking a little fun "poke" at myself!:) I agree about the power tools...I have some at our winter home that will turn a stick of wood into sawdust in seconds!:doh:

Ken

Ken: I know some guys who would take exception to the phrase "crude hand tools". The best stuff is built with them IMO. Fancy power tools just let you screw up faster. Lol

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Hi Gene
Sharlene and I travel full time so we spend about half the year in an RV. When we are in the motorhome, I am forced to use crude hand tools. All the cuts I made were done by a 15 dollar handheld sabre saw from Harbor Freight!

Ken

I'm right there with ya, Ken! :D

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Dang Gene! That's the "high dollar" saw! Why, I'd bet you're even using a SHARP blade! I would cut my hand off for sure!:D

Seriously though, those are good looking cuts in the pole! Keep the pics coming!

Ken
S/V Snake Pit (tentatively):eek:

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
I like working with wood too. I never claimed to be a carpenter, but I manage to get functional things built anyway, and have borrowed many ideas from this forum.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hi Roy
I'm sure you know this but I was just taking a little fun "poke" at myself!:) I agree about the power tools...I have some at our winter home that will turn a stick of wood into sawdust in seconds!:doh:

Ken
Yup, I know. I guess my comment doesn't come across right. The biggest problem with text based communications IMO.

My comment was meant so that future readers don't get the idea that you need fancy tools, or even woodworking/metalworking skills to do this kind of stuff.
It was part serious part not. You guys should read my mind when i'm posting dagnabit. Lol

The thing is...Having seen people give up a project or hobby, after they compared it to others, makes me perpetually concerned that it will happen. My wife says she gave up playing piano when she first heard me play years ago.. It makes me feel horrible. I've seen similar things in online forums where people may feel their work isn't up to the level of others.

I figure the mantra should be "use whichever idea works for you, and all that matters is that it works". That applies to everything, not just sailing.
Heck you could cut a wood gin pole with a bow saw and it would work as well as one made with a jigsaw,as long as you took your time making it. :)

As for power tools, some are closer to a woodchipper than intended. Lol. My cabinetmaker great grandfather would have hated them. :)

Last edited: