Mast Height

Jun 4, 2017
Hunter 23 Kennewick, WA
I am really new to sailing so probably an easy question for someone to answer. The specs on my Hunter 23 says it has a mast height of 33 feet. Is this just the length of the mast itstelf or is this the height all the way down to the waterline? Trying to figure out the min. bridge clearance I can pass under. Thank!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
7 feet seems like a lot of cushion, but would certainly be a safe standard.

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You could the run a 6 foot VHF whip on the mast. A great feeler gauge for running under s bridge.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Corystemp
There is a manual listed under boat information above for this model 23 Hunter if you will go there and follow the steps. It is under downloads and understand there are several boats on it so you will have to make sure.

The key letters is DWL which is what you are looking for. The manual says a height of 33' 6" and you would have to add anything attached to the top of the mast such as antenna, wind vane and so forth. However, it is simple to find out. Simply attach a 50 foot measuring tape to the main halyard and hoist. If it reads less than 30 feet then the 33' 6" is near correct. Of course you would have to add from the mast step down vertically to the water line to give you a true reading.

Suggest that you address your questions in the small boat section as this model boat is considered a small boat and you will find more responses from Hunter owners of the 23 there.
I will monitor and be glad to assist from the standpoint as a former retired Hunter dealer specializing in the small boats. You mast and boom are either Kenyon Isomat (parts can be purchased from Rigrite) or Z Spar(from the forum store and you can look online at the mast on the U S Spars website)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Reminds me of the owner with his boat up on the hard. He is standing with a yard worker. Owner says he wished he knew how tall the mast was. The yard worker, spotting some easy money, says "We can take the mast down so you can measure it on the ground. The owner says, "I want to know how TALL it is, not how LONG it is".

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
One a sunny day, if you know how to use a sextant, chronometer, and tape measure...
Measure length of the boat's...

Shadow!

Bit of Trigonometry = Mast height above water!

It has been done for centuries.
Jim...

PS: I couldn't resist.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
It works.

Shadows are a great tool. My flight instructor taught me that when maneuvering on the ground around other aircraft, if the wingtip shadow for your plane doesn't touch the wingtip shadow for the other plane, the wingtips themselves won't touch. It's a lot easier to SEE where the shadows are than to GUESS where your wingtip is.