Mast head rigging for symmetrical kite/spinnakeron a 26S

Sep 22, 2017
Macgregor, Hunter 26S, 23 Wing Keel SF Bay
The fractional rig spinnaker on the 26S is too small (in my opinion) to make the whole exercise sufficiently exhilerating. I have tried adding a bail and block at the point above the hounds where the holes have been drilled to support the mast for trailering. This worked to the degree that a slightly bigger chute is possible and probably does not stress the section too much. But a mast head kite is what I like.

Looking around this site I see many conversions for X and M to a mast head configuration, some with added diamond stays, for asymmetricals. That is not my question nor my craft. My hope in posting here is to learn if anyone with a 26 classic, that is a 26S or 26D, has flown a mast head kite in substantial winds (10 to 15) in a variety of circumstances (fun and racing) with success. I am not sure the backstay alone is sufficient to counter the forces to sail the polars. DDW should be ok in light air but putting up a spinnaker seems to tempt Aeolus to suddenly stir. I cannot be the first to be tempted by this but wonder if anyone has actual, practical experience in a 26S or 26D, flying a mast head kite.

Please, I am not interested in asymmetrical kites and the advice would be moot. Asyms do not perform well on our typical windward leeward courses.

I am seeking first hand experience from those who have flown masthead kites on unmodified, otherwise stock rigs on a 26 S or D, especially if successfully and even more so if it proved disastrous. Did you put a track and car on the mast for adjusting the pole or stick with the factory fixed position? Can that little bracket take such forces? For sure it is requires a more substantial spinnaker pole than the very light, scale replica that came with the boat. Thanks to all who comment from first hand experience. Also my gratitude to those who refrain from iterated anecdotal opinions. As Juan Maritime likes to say; lead me not into temptation, just show me where it is .

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
No practical experience with your boat, but lots with others re the same topic. So at the risk of this being a iterated anecdotal opinion, here you go.

With your 3/4 fract rig you could go masthead kite sailing W/Ls in 12 knots TWS or less. I would avoid reaching or more pressure. Make sure your backstay is on hard. Failure modes would be the mast shearing at the hounds, or inverting.

2 inch pole more than big enough. I would go taller kite but avoid the temptation to go wider (penalty pole) as well.