Registered users don't see ads

Mast delimma

Discussion in 'Kittiewake' started by Johnnyreb, Sep 5, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Johnnyreb

Johnnyreb

Joined Sep 2, 2017
    14 posts, 6 likes
    Kenner Kittiwake
    US Savannah, Ga. Savannah, Ga.
    The place where the mast is connected to has a female screw in receptacle and the mast has a flat plate. Am I missing a certain piece of equipment and if so should I just replace the part or for safety/easy raising, switch to a whole new setup?

Attached Files:

2. Johnnyreb

Johnnyreb

Joined Sep 2, 2017
    14 posts, 6 likes
    Kenner Kittiwake
    I really feel stupid, but willing to admit it here. The mast goes on the square spot with a spike sticking up, but haven't figured out what the brass looking screw hole is for yet.
    Did find out the boat was rigged for Solar panels so whoopiiee, but only 1 battery.

Attached Files:

3. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    7,256 posts, 277 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Ventilator (place to screw in an air vent, or dorade box)? Anchor rode storage?
    On the screw in bung, I read "Nicrometal Marine HArdware" but I can't make out the other stuff on there..
    maybe a Nicro vent base.. with watertight plug screwed in ???
    https://www.westmarine.com/vents

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,255 posts, 93 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA
    +1 Kloudie1

5. Johnnyreb

Johnnyreb

Joined Sep 2, 2017
    14 posts, 6 likes
    Kenner Kittiwake
    Thanks kloudie 1 and Rick D

6. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    2,897 posts, 544 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Yes Johnny. You have what is called a "hinged mast step". You position the mast so you can slip the hinge pin in the mast base. Attach the side stays. Get the jib halyard and attach it to the bow at a strong point. Give the halyard to a helper to pull smoothly and quickly while you stand on the boat and push guide the mast up to greet the pin on the mast step. Smooth singular motion so as not to let the mast lean off to one side. Did it all the time on my Montgomery 15. There was always someone who wanted to help standing about and watching. It was possible to just lift the mast up into place, but always more fun to let someone help.

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!