Mast Compression Post Rot

Dec 28, 2016
Hunter 34 MiddleR
Hi all,
I'm getting ready to replace the Compression Post on my '87 Hunter 34. I purchased a 4X4 white oak post and the marina will pull the mast soon. The top of the original post was rotted due to water intrusion through the pvc wire pipe. My question is... Should I drill a hole in the mast and re-route the wires to a spot where they would go through the top deck, near the mast, to the cabin, below ? Or, perhaps have the wires remain inside that pipe, and fill it with sealant ?
Thanks
Barn-dog

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Many times, the little PVC pipe will have broken its seal around the outside as well.. may be good to replace the pipe with a slightly taller one. If the wires have a good "drip loop" in them before going into the pipe, and the drain holes in/under the mast foot are clear, there won't be leakage even without sealant inside the pipe.. Lots of times, the drain holes plug from bug nest debris and the mast foot fills enough to get into the pipe..

Dec 28, 2016
Hunter 34 MiddleR
Many times, the little PVC pipe will have broken its seal around the outside as well.. may be good to replace the pipe with a slightly taller one. If the wires have a good "drip loop" in them before going into the pipe, and the drain holes in/under the mast foot are clear, there won't be leakage even without sealant inside the pipe.. Lots of times, the drain holes plug from bug nest debris and the mast foot fills enough to get into the pipe..
Thanks, kloudie. Those wires will be cut by the marina guys when the mast is pulled. I could add some length to them, so as to make the "drip loop" you suggested. I'll also replace the pipe with a longer one, as you said. I have fabricated a 4x6" steel plate that is 1/4" thick. My plan is to attach the plate to the top of the Comp. Post with two screws. The plate would provide additional support to the cross beam, on top of the post. I haven't examined the beam, which is encased in fiberglass, to see if it too may have been affected. While there doesn't appear to be any obvious swelling or water damage to the beam, the adjacent bathroom door won't close, due to some lowering of the ceiling and the cross-beam. I will coat the plate with anti-rust primer and paint. What do you think ?

Barn-dog