MarineAir Heat Pumps

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Amazing devices these reverse cycle heat pumps, how they can extract heat from 40-45 degree water in sufficient quantity to warm the boat to a comfortable temperature or cool the boat from 70 degree water. Both units on our 1991 boat are original and consume about ten amps each when connected to shore power or running the 8kw Genset.

The 16K BTU main cabin heat pump warms/cools the main and forward cabin and forward head with the 9K BTU heat pump for the aft cabin and head. Other than opening a through hull valve, flipping a few switches and turning a knob, that's it. They just run until you turn them off. PNW weather never reaches a temperature that requires cooling, but warming during the off season does come in handy.

When we took possession in 2002 the PO had removed the main cabin heat pump for repairs, as I recall to replace the compressor. Some speculation as to what happened, but that is what it is, a guess. We've used that one the most when at the dock connected to shore power when we had no plans to venture out during the colder months of the year. The aft cabin heat pump has been used some, too, but both very little over the years. We tend to use the Wallas diesel furnace the most during the cold winter cruises and/or while at anchor.

I've noticed lately that the aft cabin unit produced some heat but it never reached the set temperature when it would cycle on and off to maintain cabin comfort like the forward cabin unit. This past winter it produced no heat, so it seemed time to have someone take a look see.

Our marina office had a business card for Ice Boat Marine (Woody Wentworth) out of Anacortes so I gave him a call awhile ago to place an order for that look see. Yesterday was that day. He left me a message to tell me that he did his work and both units were operating to spec. He was a bit surprised to see that our units were the oldest that he has come across. No leaks were found in the aft cabin unit, but it did take nine ounces of R22 refrigerant, which would explain the absence of heat output. His bill was $222.00 for three hours of work, which all things considered, pretty reasonable considering the current price of R22.

Some thoughts about a dead compressor, or crapped out condenser crossed my mind, but those have now been put to rest. Memorial Day 2017 weekend has arrived with three days off, so you can guess what this skipper plans on doing and it won't be weeding in the yard.