Marine Sanitation in Ontario

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 260 South Haven, MI
I am thinking of trailering my Hunter260 up to Blind River, Ontario to cruise the North Channel. I have heard stories that a MSD with a deck pump out is required without exception. Other posts have said that officials will let you slide with a porta potty as long as you do not dump over the side. Any thoughts?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Wellll...Canadian law does prohibit portable toilets. But a lot of Americans with small boats visit the Canadian waters and I've yet to hear of any US flagged boat who's been cited or been turned back at the border or customs check-in for having one. I'm not sure I've ever even heard of any US vessel that's even been inspected. However, if you're gonna be there long enough to need to empty the portapotty tank, THAT could cause you problems.

So the best solution MIGHT be to replace the portable with an MSD version ("MSD" in the model number means it has the fittings to install a vent line and pumpout line). The 5-6 gal models hold 50-60 flushes...being able to pump out instead of having to carry even the small one ashore to dump it would certainly make your life easier...and the larger capacity--which fits the same footprint as the 2-3 gal portables, btw--would let you stay out longer wherever you go.

The sbo online store carries the two best ones--the Thetford 550P MSD Theford Porta pottie 550P and the Dometic/SeaLand Sanipotttie 965MSD SaniPottie MSD They also have the deck pumpout fitting...check availability of 1.5" pumpout hose and 5/8" vent line.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I've trailered my boat up there for the last 3 years and have never been inspected or stopped. As Peggy mentioned though you will need a cleanout sooner or later. There's not a lot of marina's up there and I would hope you wouldn't just dump it anywhere. Don't know if the marinas will be too accommodating on dumping into their toilets. I do have a 975MSD which works great. We usually get one pumpout with just the two of us. We go the end of June for a week and lucky to see 3 or 4 other boats a day. If you go in July or August there may be more chance of getting stopped, but I doubt they would check on your toilet system. Mostly safety and alcohol. Also make sure you have paper charts to back up any electronics. It is required here and you could be fined.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I need to do a little homework, 'cuz I know that all Canadian INLAND waters and all the Great Lakes on both sides of the border are NDZs, but while Champlain isn't officially one of the Great Lakes, on the US side New York has some of the most restrictive marine sanitation laws...not only is Champlain an NDZ, but it doesn't even allow any installed plumbing from a treatment device to be connected to a closed and locked thru-hull. It's been a while since I researched the Canadian side...time I did.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Peggie covered it pretty good and I have had the same experience. In 10 trips to the North Channel over a 30 year period I have never had my boat inspected or seen or heard of anyone having that experience. If you go with a portable you can dump it in the pumpout tanks at Spider Island in Little Current and Spanish.....you may have to ask for a key for the access lid. I think they frown on dumping it in the toilets due the the potential mess.
I would recommend Spanish or Little Current as launch points. Blind River is far out on west end of the interesting bits while the other two are right in the middle of things. Little Current is an interesting little town while Spanish has little to offer but the marina and launch ramp are excellent.
Legalities aside IF you decide to go with a portable my advice would be to get the smaller 3 gallon vs the 5 gallon as it is easier to get it out of the boat and ashore....sure it has to be emptied more often. Bring along a folding shovel and IF you have to dump it without benefit of a pumpout station carry it 150 feet inland, dig a hole and bury it. Under no circumstances should you dump it in the water or on the rocks.
Being an experienced wilderness canoe tripper I am used to using the "outdoor" facilities. With the trusty shovel in hand I go for a walk in the woods leaving the more civilized facilities for the first mate.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Wellll...Canadian law does prohibit portable toilets. But a lot of Americans with small boats visit the Canadian waters and I've yet to hear of any US flagged boat who's been cited or been turned back at the border or customs check-in for having one. I'm not sure I've ever even heard of any US vessel that's even been inspected.
Comity in action. Just don't abuse it!!