Registered users don't see ads

Marina etiquette

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by john6206, Apr 28, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    2,639 posts, 438 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Alamitos Bay
    Well, that bothers me too. But it's a "lost cause" b/c it's so widespread--flying the US flag from the starboard-spreader flag halyard, usually. I don't see all that many shredded ones; but they are out there.

2. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,369 posts, 492 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY
    This might be the most far flung thread yet on SBO. It's almost a James Joyce novel. But I agree about respect for our flag - for citizens of the United States. And respect for other nations flags is good manners for everyone.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,396 posts, 977 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    :plus:
    Yes. Be respectful of the country you live in and the country you visit. There are a lot of us who care.

I use to substitute teach and had a group junior high kids who acted highly disrespectful. When I called them on it, they said, "Respect had to be earned." Who teaches kids that stuff? Respect is the default. Money, grades, trust and disrespect are earned.

- Will (Dragonfly)

4. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    2,639 posts, 438 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Alamitos Bay
    The kids are not entirely wrong to say that respect is something that is, or can be, earned [through accomplishments]. Just read the definition(s) of the word. Nevertheless, respect should automatically attach to persons serving in a role or in a profession because of what members of that profession have accomplished historically, as well as for the merits required to be a part of it, or to an icon such as the flag representing likewise accomplishments of a people, etc. People respect doctors because they are doctors. Doctors have earned respect b/c of the good things they do now, and have done historically. Perhaps better just to tell 'em to "sit down and shut up" rather than offer a civics lesson they are evidently not ready to learn. It goes both ways.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  5. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,384 posts, 300 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Well.... the comment I made was not really about respect. Judging another person in such a way is dangerous and a bit myopic. That errant boat owner could be a US Army vet who just doesn't know naval tradition. Flying the national ensign in its proper place IS about nautical tradition and courtesy. If one is ignorant of proper flag etiquette I can't possibly extrapolate that to mean he's flying the flag in the wrong place because he wants to show disrespect. The concept of respect is subjectively interpreted to suit the individual.... so be careful.... accusing someone of "disrespecting" the flag because he's flying it on the "flag" halyard and leaving it up 24/7 may lead to some unwanted consequences.

Kermit and Will Gilmore like this.
  6. Capri30

Capri30

Joined Jul 4, 2012
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30' Capri
    US Bay City, MI.
    I have internal halyards as many boats now do, now I can and do tie back the external ones, but the internal halyards will still slap that aluminum mast from the inside. And NO I'm not going to fill my mast with anything! As long as there are two people left in this world there will be some kind of disagreement or conflict. Get used to it!

Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.