Marina etiquette

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
What would bother me more than that is why they are flying a US flag from the spreaders in the first place.... unless it's a courtesy flag from a foreign boat.. the US ensign belongs at the stern or backstay.
Well, that bothers me too. But it's a "lost cause" b/c it's so widespread--flying the US flag from the starboard-spreader flag halyard, usually. I don't see all that many shredded ones; but they are out there.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This might be the most far flung thread yet on SBO. It's almost a James Joyce novel. But I agree about respect for our flag - for citizens of the United States. And respect for other nations flags is good manners for everyone.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
And respect for other nations flags is good manners for everyone.
:plus:
Yes. Be respectful of the country you live in and the country you visit. There are a lot of us who care.

I use to substitute teach and had a group junior high kids who acted highly disrespectful. When I called them on it, they said, "Respect had to be earned." Who teaches kids that stuff? Respect is the default. Money, grades, trust and disrespect are earned.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The kids are not entirely wrong to say that respect is something that is, or can be, earned [through accomplishments]. Just read the definition(s) of the word. Nevertheless, respect should automatically attach to persons serving in a role or in a profession because of what members of that profession have accomplished historically, as well as for the merits required to be a part of it, or to an icon such as the flag representing likewise accomplishments of a people, etc. People respect doctors because they are doctors. Doctors have earned respect b/c of the good things they do now, and have done historically. Perhaps better just to tell 'em to "sit down and shut up" rather than offer a civics lesson they are evidently not ready to learn. It goes both ways.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Well.... the comment I made was not really about respect. Judging another person in such a way is dangerous and a bit myopic. That errant boat owner could be a US Army vet who just doesn't know naval tradition. Flying the national ensign in its proper place IS about nautical tradition and courtesy. If one is ignorant of proper flag etiquette I can't possibly extrapolate that to mean he's flying the flag in the wrong place because he wants to show disrespect. The concept of respect is subjectively interpreted to suit the individual.... so be careful.... accusing someone of "disrespecting" the flag because he's flying it on the "flag" halyard and leaving it up 24/7 may lead to some unwanted consequences.

Jul 4, 2012
Catalina 30' Capri Bay City, MI.
I have internal halyards as many boats now do, now I can and do tie back the external ones, but the internal halyards will still slap that aluminum mast from the inside. And NO I'm not going to fill my mast with anything! As long as there are two people left in this world there will be some kind of disagreement or conflict. Get used to it!

Jul 23, 2018
Catalina 18 Currently in dry storage
Totally agree: I spent weeks every summer on my boat, trying to sleep at night, and never found the sound of slapping halyards 'romantic.' Just noisy. Usually means bad manners or poor seamanship. [I know, manners don't mean anything these days.]
I carried a handful of bungie's to tie them off...and just quietly did it...on unoccupied boats. Never felt it was ambience---just noise---after the first 5 minutes.

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
My son and friends went to Iceland and hike a few trails and camped out there. He noted that when a group of Europeans passed, they remained silent and only glanced up when greeted with an American "Hello", but otherwise, remained silent.
I'm new to sailing (one year in), but I've traveled extensively around the world (every country in Central American and 8 of 12 in South America). I've also traveled all over Japan, every country in Western Europe, and a significant part of Eastern Europe. I've spent the past 7 years working in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands and frequently layover in Iceland to tool about for a week or so.

I think a lot of Americans misidentify what they experience in big cities (like Paris) as a representation for the whole country. One would certainly not expect the sometimes brisk nature of someone in NYC to represent the warmth and etiquette for the rest of the US. Likewise, people in Paris can often be in a hurry and a bit curt, but when you travel anywhere outside of Paris you'll find people as warm and loving as any small town.

I'm most familiar with the culture in the Scandinavian countries and Iceland since I've worked there for so long and it is definitely true that specifically in Norway and Iceland they do not speak to *anyone* they don't know unless spoken to first. They speak better English than many Americans, it is definitely not a language barrier. In their culture, it is a "respect of privacy". You might be deep in a thought , or busy, or in a hurry to be somewhere and engaging a you in unnecessary conversation is seen as a rude invasion of privacy.

The oddest place to experience this for me is always in a pub, but if you speak to them, they'll most certainly be warm and embracing and speak to you. (And this was in English. I only learned Norwegian two years ago.)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to the wonderful world of sailing. I hope you are use to being poor:)
but if you speak to them, they'll most certainly be warm and embracing and speak to you.
That has been my experience EVERYWHERE I've been. My experience outside the US is extensive, but compared to yours, is rather limited. I just returned 2:30am this morning from celebrating Dia de Muertos in Oaxaca Mexico. My Spanish is muy muy minusculo, but I am not shy and not one person I engaged responded with anything but enthusiasm and genuine interest. I've been to a number of Caribbean island countries, French Canada, Ecuador, Ireland and Scotland, Gebralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco and Louisiana. If you try to talk with people, they respond in kind. They each have "their ways" and interpreting them through the filters of our own unique culture is always a mistake.

-Will (Dragonfly)