March Pump- Refrigerator-new data

Jun 21, 2015
Hunter 420 Sodus Point, NY Lake Ontario
As a follow up to this post- mid-summer 2017: the warranty replacement pump sent to me by March has been working since early May without any difficulties. Most noticeable is that it has not required repriming a single time since launch. The old one required repriming at least weekly, especially when we left the dock. The new one has worked continuously whether we are sailing, in heavy waves, motoring, etc. Nothing else has change in the installation or configuration. One point of interest is that the new one was rebuilt by March. More data, in case anyone looks up this thread...

Jun 21, 2015
Dear HTM2- Thank you. Always grateful for this kind of help.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
One question about these March pumps and flow rate. What are most of you seeing as flow out the side of the boat? Mine seems to be a steady trickle more than a stream. I've cleaned the strainer, purged the air out of the lines, and have even run some decent bilge cleaner through the pump and lines. Is this normal, the only boat in my area that has something similar is a powerboat/searay with it likely being used for a/c. In that case it really streams out.

Just wondering if I should be replacing the pump, or if this is normal.

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
This past winter, I replaced the Gunner Polarmate, which was water cooled, with a unit that has both air cooling and water cooling. The water pump was a Bosch PA 66-GF 30 magnetic pump. It siezed and attempts to unsieze the shaft resulted in breaking shaft. The unit cools with the fan only, but I would like to replace the water pump. The problem is that I can't find the Bosch pump in North America. It is available in the UK where it is used to cool race car engines. I am not familiar with the March Pumps 893-09. Where could purchase one?

Jun 21, 2015
S/V Perfect Excuse: Mine is more than a trickle. It's loud enough to irritate our best friends in the slip next to us. The wife says, "It makes me want to pee!" LoL

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
In my experience the number one reason flow goes to a trickle (and you have cleaned the strainer), is because something is plugging the seawater intake. Is your refrigeration unit malfunctioning? That is the measure of whether you have sufficient raw water flow. Pay no attention to the habits of recreational boaters who burn fuel at the rate of 50gpm.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Beers cold, and the plastic blue ice packs are nicely frozen at the bottom of the fridge. I've tested water flow without it being hooked to the pump. No issues. Makes sense, I've replaced two macerator, and two shower sumps. This march pump runs all the time and is 19 years old. Can't be too upset with needing to replace.

Jun 21, 2015
Update, Early Summer 2018. Another March pump has bitten the dust, after one full season. (last year) I gave up on them- this was #4 (two were warranty replacements since they failed in less than a year). I've gone over to Shurflo Circulation Pump #503562 from Defender. It was around $130, compared to the $275-$350 I paid previously. It's a heftier pump, a little noisier, but not overly so. Hoping it will last more than one year! Will keep you updated...

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
So...one year after installing the new march pump and sherwood strainer with a top servicing groco strainer, plus adding a 'pump protect strainer', I notice no more water flowing out the side of the hull.

The problem turned out to be years of fine silt that worked its way past the filters into the drain hose between the pump, and the above water line drain. This gunk simply dried up as the pump cycled off and on until there was no more water passing through.

It took 60+ minutes with a shop vac alternating between suck and blow to finally clear the line of all the solids.

Afterwards once everything was re-assembled I filled the groco bowl 2/3 with a strong bilge cleaner and the rest water. I ran the fridges march pump for a few minutes to make sure that the lines were all filled with cleaner and left it for a few hours. When I powered up the system again a lot of sudsy mud flowed out, followed by a nice stream of water.

Glad it's running again efficiently but never believe anyone who says a water cooled fridge compressor is low maintenance.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
lurker,
That's a new one for me. I'd make sure that you flush the AC units well. You might get a hose and make sure they are clean.

If you have any concerns, there are condenser coil cleaners. Have you been anchoring, moored, or tied-up is really shallow water up there in the Florida of Canada?

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
lurker,
That's a new one for me. I'd make sure that you flush the AC units well. You might get a hose and make sure they are clean.

If you have any concerns, there are condenser coil cleaners. Have you been anchoring, moored, or tied-up is really shallow water up there in the Florida of Canada?
We're in Ladysmith at the end of a shallow bay, with a mud bottom, lots of oysters, and the warmest Pacific water north of San Francisco. No AC on our boat, we're Canadian. Just a really good Espar Hydronic heater.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
We're in Ladysmith at the end of a shallow bay, with a mud bottom, lots of oysters, and the warmest Pacific water north of San Francisco. No AC on our boat, we're Canadian. Just a really good Espar Hydronic heater.

We really appreciate our Espar Forced-Air heater which extends our season; and allows me to spend some time on the boat in the winter (we leave the boat in the water in the Chesapeake over the winters).

What is your March pump for? Your refrigeration? If it were me, I'd make sure you flush those tubes out by flushing them with a garden hose (not through the pump, but after it.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC

What is your March pump for? Your refrigeration? If it were me, I'd make sure you flush those tubes out by flushing them with a garden hose (not through the pump, but after it.
Yes, it runs through the fridges compressor. I did clear the hose using air after the march pump, then saturated the hose with bilge cleaner for hours, before allowing the march pump to run to flush the system out completely. Getting a garden hose in can't be done easily,without a reducer, but air was enough to clear the clog.