Manual Windlass/Capstan for Hunter Vision 32

Eureka

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter Vision 32 Yellowknife
My wife and I are getting too old to haul up our anchor and chain by hand. We want to instal a manual windlass or capstan. Do not need the complication or cost of electric. Any suggestions as to make model and how to mount it.

Thank you very much
from Yellowknife, NT

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My boat is much smaller than yours so this might not make sense for you at all but when I get a really dug-in anchor, I bring my rode back to my winch and use it as a makeshift windlass.

It makes me wonder about using a deck block and some fair leads to make it my official windlass. Caveat ... I only have 10’ of chain on my rode and the rest is nylon so this might be completely wrong for you.

Eureka

Nov 14, 2016
That is an excellent idea. I have been using a variation on that theme; once the anchor line is in as far as possible I attach a line to the anchor line with a rolling hitch and lead that back to the cabin top winch. I have a second line with a chain hook which I use when the upper part of my 12 ' of anchor chain is exposed. Just looking for the next step up. I am envious of my fellow sailors who have windlasses of some type.
Thank you very much

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The important issue, when you try that (and I have a few times) is to get a good fairlead to the jib sheet winch. On my boat, I remove the jib sheet and use those fairleads.
I find it cumbersome. Not something I'd want to do on a regular basis.
Any suggestions as to make model and how to mount it.
Don't know makes, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are only a few still being made.
Installation would be NO different than bedding, properly, an electric one, so any HowTo on installing a bow winch would suffice. Here are a few (scroll down):

http://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Anchoring_%26_Docking

Eureka

Nov 14, 2016
Thank you. I may have found an appropriate model on line and the instalation links you provided will help, especially with the bedding.