Man the Universal M-12 is forgiving!

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
The threads about engines overheating or running sharpened my senses (Thanks, folks!), so this season, when my engine started to make a throatier "putt putt" sound, I sensed maybe the raw water pump was not outputting as it should. Accordingly, I began watching my temp gauge more often. Early season was ok, about 165 or so, then last weekend it was at about 185 and when I touched the water output it was hot, not luke warm (also saw a bit of white "smoke" which was most likely condensate at 4/5 throttle .) Soooo, today I looked at my hoses, etc, but deep down I suspected the pump impeller which had been in there 6 years (I estimated 3 but time flies when your sailing, right?) Pulled the cover and sure enough 7 of the 12 blades broken off, 3 stuck in the housing, three in the elbow below the housing so partially blocking the water output to the HE for sure and finally one sitting in the intake end of the HE itself. I had two spare impellers/gaskets on board so no big deal, but how in the dickens can this thing have not overheated with all those blades missing and that blockage? Simply amazing. Long story short. If you have a boat laid up for the winter, ie. you are not running year round, 6 years is too long. And keep your ears open for the increased throaty putt putt sound as that is an aural clue and will happen before the temp rises. And when you change a broken impeller look everywhere in the system for those pieces that can block!

IMG_1135a.jpg