Major work ahead

Feb 15, 2018
MacGregor 26C Southern AZ
So, My husband and I got this boat, nearly for free. It's a MacGregor26 with a daggerboard. We believe it is a 1988. We know nearly nothing about it. It has been wrecked and stripped. The main reason we acquired this boat was to hone our skills for fiberglass repair, rigging work, upfitting, and having fun working on a boa we can trailer in the desert until we get our liveaboard in 3 years. We are too far from water to get a liveaboard right now. My question is, are there any Macgregor experts out there? Where's the best place to buy fiberglass repair, resin, etc? I did get the advice to use polyester from another forum. What is the best method? Where can we find a list of what SHOULD be on the boat in the way of hardware? Where can we find a mast? Can we get specs for a mast and have one made at a machinist (husband works with one)? This is really the start of a dream, so no nay sayers please. We know this isn't our dream boat, but it's fun to play with until we get her.

Thank you for any answers!!

Attachments

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Congrats on the boat. Many of your questions have been answered here many times. To search the forums, click on the search box in the upper right corner of any page. You can enter terms directly in that box, but I generally find it more effective to select "go advanced" from the pop-up menu that appears as soon as you click on the search box, and fine tune my search from there.

For parts, there are often nautical swap meets (though maybe not in the desert). There are also marine salvage vendors and consignment stores. Google is your friend.

Remember two things as you spend time, money, and energy on the boat:
1) Most of us would rather be sailing than working on our boat, so you may want to consider doing only the minimum needed to get it usable (and safe) before you spend tons of money getting it "perfect". See if you like sailing.
2) The most expensive boats in the world are the ones that were free (or nearly so). The good news is that it looks like you bought the right boat to practice your DIY skills.

Good luck!

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Hmm.. my .02 and could be wrong but you are missing so many items with that boat that you would be better off pulling off the salvageable parts and trying to sell them individually (I saw the craiglist ad for that boat - buy the trailer get the boat for free). Im fairly sure if you try and buy the missing parts, you will end up with a way over priced boat with a badly damaged but repaired hull (no matter how good the repair is). You would spend a lot for something that will never sell for much. Poor investment..

FYI, I like that model of boat.. but that particular one was already scrapped when someone removed all the valuable parts.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
so no nay sayers please. We know this isn't our dream boat, but it's fun to play with until we get her.
Woops and my apologies, I didnt see that at first.. FYI, that particular boat in reasonable shape with all the parts including an outboard can be found for $4K to $5K and after using it for a few years, you could also sell it for about the same amount. You should make an attempt to find the parts you need and price them out before spending anything and being new to this will be somewhat difficult. Now the positive.. I have nearly the same boat (mine is a very similar 26S with the swing centerboard) and cant think of another boat I would want to replace it with for my set of tradeoffs. My boat also lives in Arizona (Lake Havasu). Had this boat for 10 years now.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Congratulations on your new boat Gypsy. I have the same model (and I think the same year). The damage is definitely repairable. I think you'll find the experience quite valuable. Good luck with your project.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Looks like mast and stays and tabernacle are all that is missing on the topside. It appears to have lots of extra hardware too.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I had a Mac 26 D and loved the boat as it was great on the lakes and easy to tow and launch. But as others have stated you may spend more on parts than what the boat is worth. But then again you can try your hand at glass work. I know that when I replaced my sails in the 90s it cost over $1800 for both and if you require all the hardware you will be looking at over $2k. Don't know what you need for the interior but if you need it all could cost another $1k and did it come with a motor if not add another $1k. As you see this project boat will cost you close to $7k and you mite find one for a little more but you'll be sailing this year.

Jun 16, 2016
Macgregor 26D My driveway
I have this same boat. Traded an old camper for it. I have spent the last 2 years and over $7000 dollars restoring it. I know that I have spent more than it is worth, but I now know EVERY square inch of it intimately. And I know all systems are working they way they should. I would do it again. You learn sooo much by working on the boat. You learn new skills and where to source your parts for two things. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Mike

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Naysayer here ... :confused: Why is it important for you to learn how to repair a boat with a hole in its side? My first priority would be to learn how to sail. That requires a boat that you can sail. You will probably not get anywhere in your 3-year goal with this boat. You will be spinning your wheels and wasting your money fixing a hole and buying parts. How is that going to be progress toward your goal and what will you be learning? When you shop for your livaboard, I really doubt that you will be looking at derelict boats, so it makes absolutely no sense starting out with this derelict when you can be learning how to sail instead. Learning fiberglass skills may be useful at some point in time, but I would never start any fiberglassing project unless it was worthwhile. Right now, it just looks like an excuse for wearing rose-colored glasses when you brought this thing home. Find a use for the trailer (or sell it). But I'm afraid that you just brought home a gaping hole in your pocketbook. Sorry to be harsh, but I'd hate to see you wasting time and money, instead.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
That EVERY major component appears broken or missing would dissuade many from attempting to make a boat out of what is seen in your photos, your enthusiasm is admirable but misplaced perhaps.

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
If you are missing the sails mast and boom you would be better off parting the boat out and putting the money into a boat that has everything but still need a good cleaning and some repair. When I bought my 25 it had been sitting for 15 years so was not in very good condition to look at. But sails an cushions were all in good condition so I had a good starting point.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What are you looking to move into in 3 years? 26' is not too bad for a close couple to live aboard?
If this is an interesting exercise for you, treat her like she's a boat you are building yourself. I don't know what you paid for her, but if it was virtually free, you have a big headstart on a custom boat that you are building yourself. Once you've made her livable, you could sell the trailer to help pay for your work. On the other hand, a live-aboard that can be easily hauled-out with a trailer will save a lot of yard money.

I'm sure you can found something in the way of a mast and boom. Remember, Texas and Florida are still recovering from hurricanes.

- Will (Dragonfly)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@gypsy81 - I am sending you a private message (PM). To read it, click on the envelope symbol at the upper right corner of the page, beside your login name.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I'm usually the guy who says go for it, but if you are missing spars, sails and a motor, I say practice your glass work on this hull, but look for a complete M 26 to sail. It will be much cheaper to find a complete boat than to buy the parts individually. Especially if you don't really know what you need, or exactly how to set it all up. Trying to learn to sail a boat that is not rigged correctly will be very frustrating, you will never know if it you or the boat when things don't go as planned and the learning curve will be impossibly steep. Cut yourself some slack, and find a complete boat. You might find that the sailing is more fun than the fiberglassing.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Gypsy,
If you are really going forward with this rebuild project. You can get crazy and play around with different rigging options. Of course the designer engineered around a specific rig with balance and righting moment and all that. You can't go wrong replacing what was meant to be there with OEM hardware, but... that isn't the only option.
Here's a link to my thread on the Crab Claw rig. You might find inspiration here https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...ther-reason-to-love-them.189928/#post-1434303
Just, do the research so you don't over-power or kill the balance of your helm.
And most important of all, keep us posted so we can follow along vicariously.
Good Luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Well, it was a bad paraphrase of Spock's the wanting is better than the having. I guess it didn't come across.:-(