Major forum update coming

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
As is the way with technology, the forum software version we use has been retired and is no longer be supported. But there's good news: a current version is available that's been in wide use for 2-3 years that is stable and equally popular.

Normally, we'd just do this behind the scenes and you might not notice, but this is a major update that is not backward compatible. That means the "skin" (i.e., layout) and the plugins which provide some of the features can't be used in the new version. In some cases we'll just switch to a new plugin, but in others no comparable functionality is available.

Bottom line: Sometime this summer the forum layout will change, some cool new functions will be added and some will go away.

Based on an early view, the new layout will be easier to use. Controls are more visible, and you'll have simple access to functions you probably didn't know existed. :)

Among the positive changes this will bring is a dedicated mobile app. :yeah:

As we get closer to launch I'll post some screen shots and hopefully we can open a test forum you can play around in. Thanks in advance for your patience!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I hope it is more like our current forum than the Cruiser Forum model.
The ability to limit the threads to the areas of primary interest is a good feature and I would hope it will continue. (I.E. while I like small boats I am more interested in the big boat threads then the small boat threads.) I look forward to seeing the new ideas. Count me in on the beta testing if you are asking.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I hope it is more like our current forum than the Cruiser Forum model.
No worries, the basic structure of the forum won't change at all, nor will all prior posts and data. So far we're looking putting the forum menu on the side instead of the top, and some of the bells and whistles may change: hiding forums, "likes" may be in a different form, different (or less) data under your avatar, things like that.

Mostly small things, but I know small things can be large issues for people who use them frequently.

We will probably do some beta testing but I'll know more once I get a handle on the changes are.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I also volunteer for beta testing, especially the mobile app as I frequently use my phone to access this forum. Of course, that's if you are looking for volunteers.

dj

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
+1 on I hope it’s more like our current forum, then the cruising forum model

Thanks to all of the folks here that keep this the best, most user friendly and informative forum on the net.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Absolutely nothing to worry about on that front. We won't change the organization of forums here and CF runs on vBulletin software, which we don't use. Any similarities between SBO and CF would be purely coincidental. :)

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
When it rains look for deck leaks from inside. What else you got to do?