Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
I need some answers regarding some maintenance tasks I am planning next spring. I have a 2004 Beneteau 331 with the Yanmar 30 HP engine. I religiously change oil, change impellers, filters, etc. I will be pulling the boat out of the water in the spring and will probably change the cutlass bearing, ( Will shake the prop and check w/ feeler gauge..... When I have a definative answer on how much wear is accepable. What I need to know is when do I change the boot on the shaft inlet where the shaft exits the boat. I am the first and only owner. Engine has approx. 190 hours, (we sail a lot).
The seal / boot looks ok, no evidence of dry rot or leakage. Need some answers here as I am under tight budget, (I am doing my own bottom job; sand, paint and wax hull.)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions,

Weasel

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Well if it looks ok it probably is. The boot (drip-less shaft seal?) should not be flexing at all and surly would not be worn in just 190 hours of use. Dry rot and cracks would be my indicators and you checked that box with NO.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I need some answers regarding some maintenance tasks I am planning next spring. I have a 2004 Beneteau 331 with the Yanmar 30 HP engine. I religiously change oil, change impellers, filters, etc. I will be pulling the boat out of the water in the spring and will probably change the cutlass bearing, ( Will shake the prop and check w/ feeler gauge..... When I have a definative answer on how much wear is accepable. What I need to know is when do I change the boot on the shaft inlet where the shaft exits the boat. I am the first and only owner. Engine has approx. 190 hours, (we sail a lot).
The seal / boot looks ok, no evidence of dry rot or leakage. Need some answers here as I am under tight budget, (I am doing my own bottom job; sand, paint and wax hull.)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions,

Weasel
Sounds like you may have a Volvo Dripless Seal. If it is they need to be greased every 200 hours with special Volvo grease and burped upon launch..

Does it look like this?:

Status
Not open for further replies.