Mainsheet line from Catalina Direct

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport, Mississippi
I been looking for the manual, but all I find is you telling people to go to the Catalina website and I don't see it there, just like the last guy.

The 5/8" mainsheet feels great, but it's old and furry and barely passes through the sheave on the deck by the mast, so I assume I'm getting a lot of friction there. It also doesn't fit very securely in the cam cleat in the cockpit. I'm sure it's serviceable, it just ain't the right size. I actually don't like the 7/16" halyard I bought and wish I had gone with 9/16", it's pretty slippery on the winch. Don't know if 9/16" is a bad move though.

I can't even imagine 3/8" being recommended for a boat bigger than mine...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I been looking for the manual, but all I find is you telling people to go to the Catalina website and I don't see it there, just like the last guy.
Catalina Yachts has NOTHING on their website about boats other thn those they sell. Almost all Catalina one design boats have their own volunteer owners associations. Most of them are www.catalinaXYZ. ORG, but the C30 is different: http://www.catalina30.com/ There may be a manual there. If not, join the Yahoo group and ask.

The 5/8" mainsheet feels great, but it's old and furry and barely passes through the sheave on the deck by the mast, so I assume I'm getting a lot of friction there. It also doesn't fit very securely in the cam cleat in the cockpit. I'm sure it's serviceable, it just ain't the right size. I actually don't like the 7/16" halyard I bought and wish I had gone with 9/16", it's pretty slippery on the winch. Don't know if 9/16" is a bad move though.
Yup, old and fuzzy is what happens. Check your sheave sizes carefully before you buy line. That's what I've been trying to get across with my repeated mention of my traveler control lines. I don't want you to buy bigger line because it feels better and then come back and say "Why didn't ya tell me I'd have to buy all new blocks?!?":doh::poke::banghead: That may not be your point with this math and line sizes, but just sayin'...:)

I can't even imagine 3/8" being recommended for a boat bigger than mine
Bu the REALITY is that they are, and mine have been working for the past 18 years. :banghead: And just between 7/16 and 9/16!!!

Your boat, your choice. :clap:

Good luck.:)

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
No, I'm sure they are adequate, I mean I don't like working with thin line, it cuts your hands and slips on the winches. My jib halyard winch is not self tailing and it's a bitch to get 7/16" without someone tailing. With 4 turns the line slips without continuous force applied to it.

I never intended to go with anything bigger than 9/16", the 5/8" is just what the boat came with and it sucks. It may actually be bigger than that, I don't know for sure.

Feb 26, 2004
No, I'm sure they are adequate, I mean I don't like working with thin line, it cuts your hands and slips on the winches. My jib halyard winch is not self tailing and it's a bitch to get 7/16" without someone tailing. With 4 turns the line slips without continuous force applied to it.
I hear ya and understand. I take it you have hank on jib?

I never intended to go with anything bigger than 9/16", the 5/8" is just what the boat came with and it sucks. It may actually be bigger than that, I don't know for sure.
Gotcha. Funny how POs can getcha all POed!!!:):):)

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I've got a roller Furler. But I like to slack the line when the boat is sitting up. And I have to be able to switch between my Genoa and my 80% when necessary. By myself.

Feb 26, 2004
I've got a roller Furler. But I like to slack the line when the boat is sitting up. And I have to be able to switch between my Genoa and my 80% when necessary. By myself.
I do, too, but approached it differently. I don't have my jib halyard led aft, it sits on a cleat on the mast. I tension the luff with a strong low stretch line at the tack with a 3 part purchase. I don't have a genoa, just a 110 and an 85, both of which worked fine in my old stomping grounds of SF Bay. Our racing fleet has a max jib size of 135 and I did quite well against some of them over the years with my 110, maybe 'cuz I was sailing flatter.

Good for you changing them by yourself, but that's sure a lot of work.

I found this right on this forum years ago, food for thought if your genoa is brand new. :)

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=155362

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I don't even think I can put the 135 up by myself, and that discussion was way over my head, but it sounds like I might wanna keep the 80 on for the summer to see how it performs.

I was expecting to have to put it back on soon because gulf coast summers are pretty windless.

Neither sail is close to new...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That's because their website is promotional, it is not a resource for owners....... the reason you go there is to get the contact information at the bottom of the page. This will allow you to call the corporate switchboard and ask for the customer service or parts department. I did that 20 years ago when I purchased a 20 year old out of production Cat 27. They sent me a ton of information..... (that you can now download on the C27 owner's site.) The C30 had a huge production run, and like all the other discontinued models, C27, 30, 36, etc... are fully supported by the Catalina Yachts factory. What they DON'T have is a tech support type website with downloads and forums.... you have to contact their service and parts people directly and talk to a live person to get assistance.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Ok, thanks. I could swear I've downloaded the manual somewhere before, but now i cant find it.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Ok, just measured the lines on the boat, the traveller is definitely 15.5' each, so I would have wound up paying for twice the line I need.

The mainsheet I have is stupid long, with the boom swung out as far as it will go, it uses only 56.5' (including knots) and that leaves a good 10' in the cockpit. 72' is ridiculous. Other than swinging the boom to the shrouds, why should I buy that much extra line (16 extra feet)?

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Just for the record, my C30 manual calls out
5/16, 2X24.5' for the traveler control lines
7/16, 72' for the main sheet

This is what I put on my boat. These are good working lengths.

All of my line is StaSet.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The mainsheet I have is stupid long, with the boom swung out as far as it will go, it uses only 56.5' (including knots) and that leaves a good 10' in the cockpit. 72' is ridiculous. Other than swinging the boom to the shrouds, why should I buy that much extra line (16 extra feet)?
Are you sure it's rigged right? If you're saying that you have an extra 26 feet over the spec, that would suggest that it's not right..

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="JosefR, post: 1369329, member: 135689... it uses only 56.5' (including knots) and that leaves a good 10' in the cockpit. ...QUOTE]

Will that extra 10 feet allow you to handle the line at the helm? Also, at some point you will turn the lines end-for-end, and you may want to trim the length then. You don't want your lines the exact length.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I replaced the mainsheet (was 1/2") with 7/16th using my measurements and it's fine. I doubt I'd use it from the helm since I can't winch from there. I mistakenly bought 118' of jib halyard in 7/16ths as well because this website won't let you see your previous orders and I would have known I bought 3/8ths for my other halyard. Now I've got to sell that on eBay and ordered another 118' of 3/8ths. I could make a jib sheet from it. I got the 2 travellers in 7/16ths and they are a little large, but they work.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
JosehR, the good news is that although I use to think the same thing, we can review past orders by going to the store menus, clickon the help and scroll down to order history.
Good luck with your sale. 7/16 is a good diameter for sheets.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
JosehR - just wondering if we're talking apples and apples.
My mainsheet/traveler set up is like the midship version in the pic.

Attachments

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
JosehR - just wondering if we're talking apples and apples.
My mainsheet/traveler set up is like the midship version in the pic.
I bought the line from Catalinadirect.com.

Yes. With the boom sheeted in, there's 42' of line in the cockpit now.

With the boom swung out, there's 16' extra from the winch. I suppose thats not a lot if you're not thinking dollars per foot.

Last edited:

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
JosefR, the good news is that although I use to think the same thing, we can review past orders by going to the store menus, clickon the help and scroll down to order history.
Good luck with your sale. 7/16 is a good diameter for sheets.
Wow, who goes to HELP when looking for info on their account? HELP is where you go to find out info about the company. Was I supposed to know this? DAVE didn't seem to think anything of it when I told him I spent $180 for the wrong product because I couldn't find my old order. That was when I called him to pay the extra $21 for shipping for the line I didn't want. I think that's pretty shitty.

Last edited: