Mainsheet line from Catalina Direct

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm looking at http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2101_647/mainsheet-c-30.cfm
because I need a shorter piece of line for something else and I might as well get it while I'm paying for shipping. Problem is, I can't trust that's the proper length because they also list
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/3277_647/traveler-control-line-set.cfm
Length each: 33'. Now my traveler is right in front of the companionway hatch and there's no way those lines are more than 15' each. So without removing any of those lines, I can't trust these numbers, and my boat is in another state. Can anyone verify that the mainsheet length: 72' is correct? Or that the traveller needs 2X33'? That sounds like 20-30' too much on the main.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Have you tried the rope tool provided by the host of this forum. I usually buy my lines here and whip the ends myself. Saves a bunch of money. Another thing I do is buy a few feet more than I think I will need. You can always shorten lines and it is good to have spare rope about on a boat.

I recall the main sheet being about 72' feet or so on mine, runs from the house top, to the mast, back thru a 6 (or is it 5) to one purchase block setup, uses up length pretty quick. For the traveler car I just used a spare halyard I had so can not help you on length there. This is for the old curved setup, lengths may vary once I get my new traveler and sheet setup installed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Josef. I'd consider Garbone's advise. Remember you have 5 or 6 lines running from the traveler to the boom stretched out over the water when sailing down wind. Set the mast out til it touches the first shroud on the port side. Pull the traveler to the starboard side of the track. Now measure the line needed to make the trip to the camcleat and leave a tail to get a grip. The length will surprise you.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I understand there are 5 or 6 lines on the mainsheet, and it's a lot of line, but are there 33' on the traveller? Looks like 15 to me.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I understand there are 5 or 6 lines on the mainsheet, and it's a lot of line, but are there 33' on the traveller? Looks like 15 to me.
And you need trailing line to adjust from cockpit

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I understand there are 5 or 6 lines on the mainsheet, and it's a lot of line, but are there 33' on the traveler? Looks like 15 to me.
Are you talking about the mainsheet or the traveler control lines? If the latter, than the lengths will depends on what traveler sheaves you have. Some are only 3:1, others are 6:1 requiring significantly longer lines on each side. Others have correctly commented on the mainsheet lengths. But no one knows, except for you, what blocks you may have on that mainsheet arrangement. If it's still "stock" then the various Catalina 30 websites and their Yahoo groups should have the manual online for your boat which will include all the running rigging lengths, but based on a "stock" arrangement. Good luck.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I'm talking about the traveller because they suggest 33' for my likely 3:1 and it just doesn't look that long, including the 4' in the cockpit. Maybe they are assuming I have 6:1, I didn't know that was an option, but mine is surely not that long. But if they have that number wrong for my boat, then I can't trust they have my main line right. So I guess I'll have to make another trip to the boat to strip all the mainsheet off to measure it.

Feb 26, 2004
I'm talking about the traveller because
You may be able to understand our confusion, based on the title of your topic. :) Our boats are similar, and my 6:1 Garhauer traveler required 27 feet of line for each side. I sometimes wish I'd bought line a tad longer, so 33 feet sounds about right for a 6:1.
So I guess I'll have to make another trip to the boat to strip all the mainsheet off to measure it.
Well, you don't actually have to do that. All you have to do is measure the line from block to block and add the individual lengths up. No need to "un-reeve" the entire mainsheet. Just tryin' to save you a ton of work.

Good luck.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Yeah, that should be accurate enough to know if 72' is right. But I can't get back to the boat for 2 weeks, just to measure. Someone previously put 5/8" line on it, so it barely fits in the cleat, although it's a pleasure to haul on.

Feb 26, 2004
Someone previously put 5/8" line on it, so it barely fits in the cleat, although it's a pleasure to haul on.
I hear you. I made the mistake of putting 3/8" line (instead of the specified 5/16") on the traveler when I first bought the 6:1 upgrade. Soon after the line swelled just enough to start binding in the sheaves. I had to replace it a year later. I strongly caution you to not oversize line especially that runs through multiple blocks and is adjusted often, like travelers and mainsheets.

Oct 22, 2014
Josef, I read your post and the use of Mainsheet line has a different answer than the use of "Traveler control lines". Stu's info is more relevant to your needs than the info I supplied on Mainsheets.
Good luck with your project. Let us know how it all works out.

Oct 22, 2014
It appears Josef is concerned about the length so he does not pay too much for line he may not need. That is a thriftiness I can understand.
It may be reasonable to consider what source you use to get the line. A quick look at the Catalina pre-cut length of 33' places the cost of the line package at $1.22 per foot for 5/16 line. Looking at the per foot cost on this forum's store (SBO store https://shop.sailboatowners.com/index_old.php) a quality low stretch line (Extra Low Stretch Double Braid ) in 5/16 is about $0.79. Perhaps the lower cost will permit the purchase of a little extra so you have enough.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
I spent several hours the other day looking at that website trying to find some decent line but I couldn't find anything in 7/16 inch, which is the size I need. Their prices are much better, but their search function is useless. But 5/16 inch is too small.

Oct 22, 2014
OK. The Catalina link indicated 5/16. That is why I used the number. It appears about right for the traveler control lines on a 30 ft boat with 3:1 or 6:1 control.
For mainsheet lines I prefer a bit bigger, (1/2 to 9/16) but that increases the weight and can affect positioning of the boom in light winds.​
What size lines are you seeking?
And are you looking for Traveler Control Lines, like the ones in the image below?

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
They say 5/16" for the traveller, but 7/16" for halyard and sheets. I recently replaced my jib halyard with 7/16" and it's hard on the hands, I sure wouldn't want to pull on anything smaller. I don't know why they say smaller line for the traveller. I think mine currently has 5/8" inch on it as well. I'm sure 9/16" would be more comfortable for both. I'm not looking for traveller lines.

Oct 22, 2014
Firstly it helps to know what you are looking for.
Here is the SBO listing for white medium stretch line called "Yacht braid". I use it for lines that are adjusted to control sails.

7/16 in. (11.0 mm) LS Yacht Braid, White (4900 lb)
SKU 48784

Mfg p/n 450 028 005 030 Average Strength: 4900 lb
Color: White
Dia.: 7⁄16" (11.0 mm)
Spool Length: 500 ft
Weight (100 ft): 6.1 lb
879 in stock $0.88

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You might consider that down the road you'll turn the lines end-for-end to even out wear and UV, so some extra footage would be advisable. My B323 was almost new when I ran all the lines to the cockpit. I pulled them to the wheel and cut them so they could be control by the helmperson. In most cases, I cut off lengths in the teens. I noted my owners manual with how much I cut off, next to the OEM length.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Firstly it helps to know what you are looking for.
I guess so, I spent hours in their site looking at every line they sell, one by one, and never saw 7/16" other than sold out. Don't know how you found it, unless they restocked since Saturday.

Feb 26, 2004
Josef,

Here's what my Catalina 34 manual calls for:

Mainsheet - 7/16" x 60
Traveler control lines - 5/16" x 16

I installed:

Mainsheet - 7/16" x 60
Traveler control lines - 5/16" x 27

Both halyards are spec'd at 3/8". I find that fine. It's only once a day anyway for the main, I have a furler on the jib.

The traveler lines were longer than spec'd because, as I said before, I put in a 6:1 traveler car system, and the manual was for an older 3:1.

While the mainsheet length should make no impact on your decision, because they are two different boats, I have often wished I'd bought an extra five feet of mainsheet.

I forget if we asked or if you already told us: What does the C30 manual say?

I think mine currently has 5/8" inch on it as well. I'm sure 9/16" would be more comfortable for both.
I know you're not looking for these, but could you explain how it works for you at 5/8"? That would be impossible to use with my Garhauer sheaves. Thanks.