mainsheet fiddle block?

Aug 26, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Lake Lanier
Hi all -- I have H 25.5 (mid '80s I think). The angle of the cam cleat makes it quite hard to cleat the mainsheet. Is this the standard block? Any suggestions for a replacement? I've seen a few that look like the cleat position is adjustable - would that work? How do I know what size, etc. to get?

Thanks.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I replaced the one on my old Mac with an adjustable. I think it was a Garheaur (sp). It helped a lot

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
No. I don't think that is original. Mine was the other way around. You pulled up to release it from the jaws and down to secure it. I never had a problem with it. The first thing I did when I got my 25.5 was replace the traveler with one that can be adjusted under load. There is no point in having a traveler otherwise.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
A Garhauer 25-06 block should do the trick (it is a "Fiddle Block with Becket, Cam Cleat and Adjustable Shackle"). You would be surprised how much better it works (compared to your original fiddle block). If you want a different angle, they would more than likely do it for you. Give them a call. Talk to Guido or Mark.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Pulling up to release seems backwards to me. You are sitting higher than the block usually, up on the rail, so as you trim in you are pulling upwards. I would want my sheet to stay secured in the cam cleat then. To release, you yank it down and let the sheet run. Or, give it a kick with your foot.

Edit: Though, if you really want to do it up nicely, get one with a ratchet. Then you can just ease and trim as you go. Main trim is a full time job.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't know about that particular boat, but you can also put the block and cam on a wire pendant (Going from traveler car to block). to adjust its height.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't know about that particular boat, but you can also put the block and cam on a wire pendant (Going from traveler car to block). to adjust its height.
I did that also. If nothing else, it got the mainsheet above my crew's legs

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The block is not orgriginal with the boat. It looks like it has been worked on for example the cam cleats appear to have been replaced (look at the bolt protruding) and it appears where the attachement on that main block has appeared to be worked on. There is no way to adjust the angle of the cam cleat from what you posted which is an issue because if you could adjust the height, then your problem would be corrected. My suggestion is to buy another block. There are many out there but the choice is yours.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
If the cam assembly is bolted, not riveted, to the block - could you unbolt it, flip it over so it angles down, and reattach? The opening into the jaws would end up pointing down, not up as now, so you'd pull down on the sheet to lock. Hard to visualize from the photo if the angle would end up so it would work well or not.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2016
Hunter 240 Holland, MI
You could always add a long D shackle in between the block and the traveler attach point. This might raise the block high enough to make releasing a bit easier. I don't know if that will be enough, but I would think lengthening the attachment from the block to the traveler about 3" will help a little. Not great, but maybe a work around.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You can, but that becomes VERY hard to work when there is any slack at all in the mainsheet. Without a solid base the block flops around and is very hard to use. Aggravating.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Folks I have read all the responses and again a new block is the way to go. I know this boat having sold a few in my lifetime.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I'd try swapping the top and bottom blocks, might not work but it would be cheap if it did.
The reason I say this is because the yard had stepped our old Catalina when we bought it years ago and it took a while to get the rigging right.
All U Get