Mainsail part

May 7, 2012
Catalina 27 Keyport
On my catalina 27 the part that holds mainsail up went overboard. Don't know the proper name to order a new. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Yea, "holds up the main" is kinda confusing. Clearly the mast did not go overboard but there are many other parts that "hold up the main"
Nautical terms can be daunting and most on this forum understand that. Can you give us a better description of the part? As a start the top of the mast is called the mast head, the bottom is socketed in the tabernacle and called the base, the "rope" that you pull on that raises the main (or any other sail for that matter) is the halyard. The corners of a sail are the "head" at the top, the "tack" which is attached at the mast at the bottom (or for a foresail (sail ahead of the mast) at the bottom of the cable that the runs from the mast to the bow (the pointy end of the boat at the front ;-) ) and the "clew" is the corner that is at the aft (back of boat) end of the boom.
The learning curve is steep but not that high so keep the faith and we will talk you off the cliff.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
This forum is a wealth of information and has educated us and saved us lots of time, frustration and money!
Thanks to all who contribute, there are no dumb questions so keep asking and contributing the wealth of knowledge out there is amazing!

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Yellowood: Congratulations, you are the first and only poster on my ignore list. You are now free of the possibility that I might accidentally trouble you with an informative reply.