Mainsail/Mast question

Feb 21, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Perry, KS
What holds the mainsail slugs from dropping out of the slot in the mast when you drop the sail? My Mac25 has nothing on the mast to prevent the sail and slugs from dropping out of that slot in the mast, and then I can't raise the main again without getting on deck and slipping the slugs back in as I raise the sail.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
The two pluses to the slide stop is they are relatively inexpensive and easy to install. The first downside comes into play when you try to reef. The slide stop prevents the sail from coming down far enough to reach the reef hook. Now you are up on deck in rough weather having to remove the slide stop to allow the sail to drop down. With the propensity those suckers have to go overboard, if you go this route, by at least two. I would recomend the mast gate for a long term solution.
If you frequently remove the mast, Sumner had the easiest removable mast gate on his MacGregor mods page.

Feb 21, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Perry, KS
Perfect! I think I will get the mast stop, but eventually do the gate mod.
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I need.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I took a different approach. I just used a piece of wood as a buffer and hammered the gate above the boom closed so that it cannot come out without removing the boom. Nothing to loose or remove. Just lay the boom on the deck, attach the halyard to the sail undo the ties and feed it into the mast and pull the boom up with it. Once the boom is bolted to the mast the sail cannot come out. The sail will flake on the boom as neat as can be.