Main sheet length?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
jviss

Eye splice or Whipped ??? Why would you need these and if so take that into your total calculation (a couple of extra feet).
Why? Because if you need an eye splice on the end, you need it! If you're specifying rigging, you spec. the ends. If you are going to order it fully made, you need to tell the supplier.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
My Main sheet is anchored on a pad eye on deck, then runs through all the blocks and terminates through the cleat on the starboard side, I would presume this is single ended
Depending on what sort of cleat you've got for your mainsheet (hopefully not the original clam cleat), and what sort of sailing you will be doing, you might want to change that cleat to something that's easier to work with. There are several threads here about that; here's a picture of what we tried (Harken cleat) and what we ended up doing (Spinlock cleat Spinlock PXR0810/SW). The Spinlock cleat is for 8-10 mm, 5/16-3/8", and I'm pretty sure we went with 3/8" line for the main sheet, rather than 7/16". The swivel works well, and it's much easier to release the Spinlock than the Harken and clam cleat.
IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0671.JPG

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Yeah, ours has the clam cleat with bail. Having just got the boat and only getting her out a few times I can say we were less than impressed with this set up. Changing out the mainsheet cleat is on the to-do list. Thanks for the suggestions.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
jviss

Eye splice or Whipped ??? Why would you need these and if so take that into your total calculation (a couple of extra feet).
You would definitely want an eye splice on a halyard. Sheets can be managed with other attachment methods, ie bowline... whipping is just to stop fraying, no extra length needed to whip an end, it is done with a separate piece of waxed string.

Nov 16, 2012
You would definitely want an eye splice on a halyard. Sheets can be managed with other attachment methods, ie bowline... whipping is just to stop fraying, no extra length needed to whip an end, it is done with a separate piece of waxed string.
A properly done eye splice is stronger than a bowline, or any other knot. But a good knot has flexibility. Like most everything in boating (and life) it’s always a compromise.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
I make my living by climbing trees, so you could say I'm pretty well practiced with all aspects of ropes, lines, knots and hitches. But we'll leave all that for another discussion. ;-)

Mike

Nov 16, 2012
I make my living by climbing trees, so you could say I'm pretty well practiced with all aspects of ropes, lines, knots and hitches. But we'll leave all that for another discussion. ;-)

Mike
I had forgotten that about you... Arborists and riggers are a special breed, and I say that with respect.

Last edited: