Main sheet control on H27

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I recently bought a 1984 H27. The PO had installed a swivel jam cleat that was severely undersized to secure the main sheet. The cabin top has been repainted so there is no obvious evidence of how the main sheet was originally tied off. This swivel cleat is twisted and about to break and needs to be replaced. The rest of the main sheeting system seems to be original, question is how was the main sheet originally tied off, was a winch & cleat involved? If so what size and where was it mounted? Some time in the near future I would like to add a traveler system, so whatever I do now will have to also work with a traveler. Any detailed pics of your system would be greatly appreciated.

Marty

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Here is our traveler:

DSCN0006.JPG

It runs from the width of the cockpit, just aft of the rudder post. This allows sheeting from the aft end of the boom, the best place for several reasons. Adjustment is by peg stoppers on the track. This works fine with the higher leverage at the boom end, but I would probably rig blocks and lines for easier, more variable adjustment if I was installing it new.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
David, You need a better picture of the traveler. Those are some baggy socks and wild hairy legs.:yikes: My eyes are so damaged I could hardly see the main sheet rigging.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Awww..., guys, thanks for e compliments!

I've never taken a picture of just the traveler, so I looked for one that would show finefurn the setup.

The beauty shot is a free Benny!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This video may help with how it was set up. Looks like David (if you can get past those knees ;) ) located his traveler aft which would be great for singlehanding.

Oct 30, 2011
My eyes My eyes Please Dave stop
My set up is the same as on Justin's boat, wheel steering. I'm somewhat surprised that there is no winch to help take in the Main. I'll be sailing with my wife and grand kids (early teens) so with this setup how much force is required to pull in the main in a moderate wind ? Would they be able to handle the mainsheet? I imagine if I decide to opt for a winch, I could set it up the same as you have on the port side cabin top. I assume those are for the Main & Jib halyards.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The force required is directly proportional to the number of turns of the block and tackle, more turns (2:1,3:1,4:1), less effort (more mechanical advantage, but less movement of the load per inch of pull on the sheet.

Check it out
http://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3901

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
surprised that there is no winch to help take in the Main
On your 27 foot boat with 145.00 ft2 of main sail and end of boom rig a winch would be overkill.
The sailboat data image shows the boom rig was designed as a mid boom mainsheet rig.

This being the case the force to manage the main sheet would be more than an end boom rig.
Still we are talking about only 145 sq ft of sail area. Still think the winch would be over kill.
Before the winch I would modify the blocks to increase the number of turns.
  1. A 2 to 1 mainsheet rig is light weight and while used by race boats do to the lighter weight, it does require more strength to manage the sail.
  2. A 6 to 1 mainsheet rig is heavier weight in blocks and line. It is much less strength to pull the sheet but you compromise the weight of the rig for reduced pull strength to manage the sail.
Boat rigging and sail management is all compromise. The use of a winch is still another compromise. In my opinion if you need a winch to control the mainsheet you have up too much sail ant there are likely more critical issues then simply a winch involved.

Oct 30, 2011
Thank guys. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Just saved me the expense of adding a winch.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
This is the way mine was set up when I bought it:

image.jpeg
And this is where I installed my traveler:
image.jpeg
The original was cleated with a standard cam cleat on the starboard cabin top. The winch and clutch on the port side are for the halyards. Sheeting in the main is so much easier with the traveler and end boom sheeting!