Main Sheet Block Setup question

Feb 23, 2015
Catalina 25 Austin
http://i.imgur.com/twhMG9S.jpg

Previous owner set up the main sheet as a triple block hanging from midway down the boom, going to a block on each side of the companionway. It basically turns this contraption into the mainsheet, boomvang, and traveller, all in one.

It makes handling the main sheet pretty rough, since you have to use two hands to adjust it. That makes sailing the boat tough, since you need one person on the main, one of the jib, and one to steer when tacking.

So a few questions:
(1) Has anyone used this setup before?
(2) Any benefits to it?
(3) Any tips for handling?

Thanks!!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Interesting mod!

Double sided mainsheets are rare but not totally unheard of. It some ways it DOES take the place of the traveler, as it allows the boom to be brought up to the centerline of the boat when going to windward. You DO however need a vang. This does not replace a vang when you want to lower the angle of attack of the sail. To be effective vangs need to be based on the same pivot as the boon (base of mast).

It probably is inconvenient to use, based on location. I can only image that was done to make way for a binimi? In any case if you don't like it (understandable!) just replace with a traveler.

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 25 Swing Keel Wallula
On C25 TRs I have corresponded with a couple owners who did this to find a way to do away with the traveler attached aft over the transom, which when left stock leaves the mainsheet adjuster hanging uncomfortably low. If you still have the hardware and traveler bar, you should be able to go back to the original traveler when single handling. And go back to the forward when you have a crew. Just a thought.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
That is the same set up I have on My Catalina 25. I solo sail quite a bit and have not had an issue with handling the sheets. Main sheets normally take care of themselves, when tacking, leaving me to handle the jib sheets, then adjust the main sheets if necessary. Tiller clutch is a big help. Now that I am comfortable with this set up I actually prefer it. Really helps with bimini location.