Main sail Halyard

Jul 2, 2016
Hunter 26.5 Paris Landing TN
A good friend once told me that owning a boat especially a sailboat is not as enjoyable as one might think. There is alot of maintenance that goes into owning a GOOD boat. Well aside from the average washing and cosmetic stuff Dionysus our Hunter 26.5 has been pretty trouble free until now. A little back story first on the boat at her crew. My wife and I bought her from a guy who had never raised her sails in Knoxville TN. He only used her to motor around his local lake. My wife and I had NEVER sailed but I was fascinated by it so we said we'd give it a try and learn from our mistakes lol..... Well lucky for us one of my VFW buddies used to sell sailboats so he has been our mentor and ensured he taught me just enough to not die. Dionysus's halyards and sheets lasted us one entire sailing season in West TN on KY Lake but this past weekend when we went up to take her out again while we were at the dock we noticed that the mainsail would not go up. There were no obstructions preventing the sail from raising, the sail slugs were in their tracks, no other lines in the way, etc. However there was an issue there was alot of slack in the other end of the halyard, so much slack that when I pulled it it fell to the deck of the boat. It appeared that during one of the past few weeks severe storms that the halyard had broken. Being almost 100% sure that wasn't supposed to happen we gave up on sailing for the day and decided to motor ourselves. So that leads me to my real point here. What is the process that I am going to have to do to make this repair. I see that I can order an OEM replacement halyard on here but my real question is am I going to have to completely lower the mast in order to make this repair? I'm thinking from the way it looks there is no way around it. Getting it up and launched was a 7 hour ordeal and involved several swear words. I can only imagine having to take it down and then put it back up. If any of you seasoned sailors have any advice on this repair please let me know I am all ears, or better yet anyone close to Paris Landing TN and willing to provide guidance and experience that would be better. I want to get this repair made as quickly as I can but it be correct as well because I don't have the ability to haul out all the time. Thanks for your input.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can climb the mast, or have someone pull you up, if the line is strong enough.
Or drop the mast while you do your repairs.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
To drop the mast isn't as bad as you might think. Build yourself a 10 foot (or whatever length you need) ginpole and use the forward or backstay down to the ginpole. The pole can be made from anything (even a 2x4) Use block and tackle from the genpole to the chainplate and let it down slowly. Here is a little help on a smaller boat, but the same procedure:
Having some help with guiding stays would help as would lines attached to the jib halyard (and pulled to the top of the mast) to prevent the mast from going to the side. Man these with your helpers. I used to single hand raise or drop our Mac 26 mast in 20 minutes. I never used the sheet winch, just pulled the line by hand. If I needed to pause, I tied it off on the bow cleat.
Ken

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First let me be clear. Do not attempt to use a mast raisngin system of any kind not knowing the age and condition of the halyards or other lines or attempt going up in a bosuns chair either. . First I am not sure if the boat was either at Concord Sail Club outside of Knoxville or that is where the boat came from. Are you there or are you on Kentucky Lake. From there I will comment further as to possible help. I am a former dealer for Hunter.
Crazy Dave Condon

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
First let me be clear. Do not attempt to use a mast raisngin system of any kind not knowing the age and condition of the halyards or other lines or attempt going up in a bosuns chair either. . First I am not sure if the boat was either at Concord Sail Club outside of Knoxville or that is where the boat came from. Are you there or are you on Kentucky Lake. From there I will comment further as to possible help. I am a former dealer for Hunter.
Crazy Dave Condon
I should be more clear. You don't use halyards to raise or drop the mast. You use the standing rigging. The halyard is just to stabilize it side to side. Yes, standing rigging could also fail, but if it can't lift the mast, it certainly wouldn't hold the loads while sailing.
Ken

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ken;
Mast raising systems do use the jib halyard for mast raising as there should be stabilizing wires, stabilizer bracing or some type of rig to keep the mast stabilized from going over sideways. I was responsible in most part for the Hunter raising systems on the water ballast boats. My comment about the halyards we do not know the age or condition of them and that alone is a warning not to consider that for mast raising more specifically the jib halyard and a boson's chair using the main halyard. Before being a dealer, I was an insurance investigator with safety dept. included. I look at a situation to include safety for the most part.

You would have thought the original poster would have gotten back to me and it is possible it could have been a boat I originally sold as I use to do a lot of business in east TN which is why I know the area and a good friend of mine was a Hunter dealer at KY Lake. His description is not as clear and needs further explaining as to the best approach I can or anyone with knowledge and experience can advise this man. I am surprised he has not responded back as yet. There are others I have reached out without any further contact to include private forum email to the individual from me for example on the Hunter 25 newer model where the fellow is having difficulty single hand and I know that all too well. I know what it will take to do that as I equipped my boats so the skipper could single hand the newer Hunter 25. Anyway got to go as I have other things to get done today on the skipper honey do orders.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Makes sense Dave. I'm just surprised how often people seem to do things the hard way (or in some cases, dangerous way like no backup for a questionable halyard on a bosens chair).

It seems to me it's way easier to drop the mast on that size boat.

I wouldn't attempt to drop my mast without a crane but my bridge clearance is 50.
Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave. Unfortunately sometimes the person with the best knowledge is the last person posters contact or listen to for insight.

Hopefully he will reach out to you. Then he may be using the experimental approach trying to find answers

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jssailem;
You are so correct. The only reason I help out on this forum sometimes several hours a day is to help others with my knowledge and experience. Many do recognize based on my answers and how many would make those calls or accept them from all over. My business or dealership flourished due to God and I am simply giving back. One good example giving unlimited lessons when purchasing a boat and usually I allotted two weeks with the large boats which was rare. Why call, sometimes my hands hurt from arthritis amongst other things to include taking care of where we live on our little mountain but the views are worth it. Thanks to you and Ken for those kind comments.

Jul 2, 2016
Hunter 26.5 Paris Landing TN
Crazy Dave, I we are keeping the boat at Paris Landing Marina on the West TN side of the state. I am NOT climbing the mast while not knowing the condition of the remaining lines as well. I have a feeling that these lines are the original ones from 1988 so yeah they are due to be replaced. I ended up getting ahold of Green Turtle Bay on Lake Barkley in Grand Rivers KY about 45 miles down river from our home port. I am going to get the boat there on May 6th and let them do the repairs. They have all the necessary equipment and do this for a living. Quite frankly I look forward to the over night trip to get it there and its not worth it to me to try to do it myself having to rent a cherry picker, load boat onto trailer, etc. Much easier to motor to repair shop. I am having them go ahead and replace mast light and navigation light as well since its there anyway. Don't want to have to do this trip again for quite a while.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Safety is a big consideration and we would rather see you here in the forums telling us about your experience to include photos of motoring if you would be so kind vs. being hurt. Suggest never sailing/motoring in the dark in unchartered waters unless you know the area. Remember there are fools out there even in the dark.