Mail order dodgers/bimini

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
In addition to other projects, I am also trying to get a new dodger for my H37c. I live in St. Joseph, MI. There is no local canvas shop that will do the work. I obtained quotes from one shop, but it was ridiculously high. A second shop provided a quote but says they need the boat to do the work. I'm an hour's drive away.
I tried Island Nautical. They have a pattern for the H37c, but shipping would be a couple hundred dollars over the quote, due to frame size. They would not use my existing frame.
Has anyone used any other resource for dodgers? What about biminis?
As always, thank you.
Jim

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
There are so many variations in dodgers and bimini's for the same boat, I do not think you will find a shop that will do it without measuring your existing frame, or providing a completely new one. How bad is your original Canvas? You may be able to buy the fabric material of your choice, and get a local seamstress to just disassemble your existing one to use it as a pattern, and copy it. Check Craigslist to find a nice grandma doing sewing work to make ends meet. Good luck

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
We offer great prices on our custom bimini's, likely around $1250, but yes, shipping cost is high, about $275 to Michigan. Give me a call if you'd like to discuss further.
877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific

Jun 4, 2004
To Pateco: I do not have the dodger. Only the frame. Stupidly, I threw the dodger away because it was a tattered mess. I’ve sailed without it for four years. I’m skipper, but the Admiral says shade is a must have this year.
To Dave: thanks for the info. I think I can adapt a local used bimini or cover a used frame for about the cost of shipping. Dodger is the bigger challenge.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The SBO price even with shipping seems pretty good to me. We made out own dodger from a kit and it was at least $700 and many, many hours of work. It had wrinkles due to our incompetence. And my wife is very experienced with a sewing machine. Designing and making a dodger is not an easy job. It is expensive because it takes skill and experience.

Jun 4, 2004
Please, don't misunderstand. I'm sure SBO's price is fair. But it was for a bimini. I have local options for used bimini's (from hurricane damaged sailboats?) that will work or frames that local crafts people will cover for a fraction of new. I am a firm believer that, "Perfect is the enemy of the pretty darn good." Your observations were about dodgers and I agree with all of them. A new dodger is my challenge. I am willing to pay a fair price for a good dodger, but I want some assurance that if there is a problem, I will be able to get it satisfactorily resolved. So far, I've gotten quotes that differ by more than $1000 for identical specifications and none that offer a guarantee in which I feel confident. I need to keep researching. This forum and the salts that comprise it have frequently served me well as a guide.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't opt for the cheap one.... but... look around a for an independent craftsman that may work at many marinas in the region. The guy that built my new dodger lives 75 miles north of here... nowhere near the coast... his shop is at home... he plans his trips to mission bay, or Oceanside or Dana Point by coordinating multiple projects. If you use your existing frame you'll save a lot..... but I'd get a frame quote also. You may want to invest in a good quality stainless steel frame with the welded grab rail along the back .. (see picture) Impulse aug 17 050.jpgThe one you see in the picture includes poly carbonate window, removable side screens, zippered center window, protective canvas window covering, welded aft grab rail, bolt on side grab rails, and more... total cost was around $3,200. Craftsman made about 5 trips in all to the boat. The canvas shop at the nearby boatyard quoted $4800 without the welded grab rail.
The grab rail is especially cool. Your wife and guest will love the safety and security if offers when boarding or moving around the cockpit.

Jun 4, 2004
I’ve been doing what you recommend but have not located anyone yet. I will keep trying. I really like the grab rail idea. Thank you.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I thought I'd add another thought.... after re reading your opening comment I realized that your wife was more interested in SHADE than anything else. In this case I would opt for a bimini right away, and keep looking for the right dodger opportunity and also give careful consideration to what style of dodger will suit your boat. The bimini is cost effective and can be measured, ordered and installed by the boat owner with relatively little skill required. You can also add drop down side curtains for late afternoon sun protection, and additional privace at anchor.
A dodger is designed more for protection from all types of weather... and to keep the cabin dry when the hatch is open. Since your boat probably has wheel helm... the dodger won't really help the person driving... a bimini can be set up to cover the entire cockpit, especially if you have mid boom sheeting. Have fun.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I may have missed if you still have the old bimini. If you do, I used covercovers.com to copy my bimini. Saved about $200 over local shops. You send them the old one and they made an exact copy. Took about 6 weeks. Very pleased with their work.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I would like to hear more about Island Canvas dodgers. Currently we do not have a dodger that would nice for rsiny days.
Would have thought that after the hurricanes last year, there would be more good old boat parts available.
Overtons has a large selection of biminis, the shipping is low or free as they come in sections but they have no provision for backstays so must be be installed with the aft end just clear of the stay. Installed one on my powerboat in less than four hours.
I did consider covers.com but they require sending my present cover in just to get an estimate. Will likely have a replacement sewn locally.

Jun 4, 2004
I like the idea of doing a bimini now and continuing to research dodger options. Thank you. As to copycovers, we have never had a Bimini, so nothing to send as a pattern.

Jun 4, 2004
Thanks. Looks like good stuff, but a bit too pricey for my old boat.
Have you made a decision on your windlass?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good query. Yes. Ordered and received a big box from SBO right before Christmas. Now doing the planning to install. My friend @LeslieTroyer and I were up on the boat about a week ago. We removed the old windlass, anchor, chain rode, and the bow roller. Now I am exploring all the options involved in installing the new power windless.

Jun 4, 2004
Let me know if you decide to sell. What kind of anchor are you going with? And why?

Jun 4, 2004
Bingo...I hope. Asking around the Marina’s, as recommended by Joe. Found a person with 25 years experience and she’s local! We have a verbal agreement to get it all done before launch. I’ll keep you posted.
Now, for the new ground tackle. The fun never stops. I’m smiling as I type that.