Made a simple Outboard Motor Stand

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I needed a couple of outboard motor stands for the old and new outboards. Couldnt find any used and wasnt going to pay $80 or more for some flimsy and bulky stand. Im a strong believer in the KISS principle. Came up with this: 4 pieces per stand, and some good 2 1/2" screws. Works great and only cost $20 for the two. Well, add another $6 for the deluxe roller version w 2 fixed casters. Took less than an hour to make both.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
CC,
I like that, need one too. Going to make one like such.
There is not much extra room in my garage, that slim design is just fitting.
Thanks for posting your idea.
Hart

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Looks good. Mine is even simpler - I lag bolted a 2 by 6 across two nearby 4X4 support posts in our basement/crawl space, and hang my Honda 8 on that. I can slide a plastic garbage can under the leg to test run it in water. Works fine if you have robust support posts that are near enough, say 3 to 4 ft separation.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Nice... Great Idea. Searching DIY outboard stands I saw this on Google Images. Love the simplicity and cheap materials.

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
What a wonderful idea. I'm definitely going to steal this idea. Sure beats laying the motor on the ground.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I used discarded 55 gallon drums at time for stands with one no holes in it filled with water to run engines in it. If outside you might want to drill holes to drain rain water. Use to paint mine and one was hot pink just for laughs.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I made mine out of an old hand truck, some U Bolts, and a chunk of 2x12.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I was lucky. The basement of our vacation house has 4 by 4 posts supporting the floor above, and one pair are about 3 ft apart. I lag bolted a 1 by 6 (or similar) across them, and mount the motor on that, and put a shelf on one post to support the fuel tank. It is the proper height to put a garbage can under it so I can test run it (yeah, it does get some fumes in the basement but I leave the door open and don't run it long).

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You're design has a great modern aesthetic that I really like. You might consider adding some type of cross grain support to help prevent the 2x12 from splitting as it ages and dries out. I really like the addition of the casters.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited: