MacGregor 26x Motoring for SPEED

Dec 6, 2018
MacGregor 19 Lake Isabella
Under what conditions can the Mac26x with a 50hp Evinrude perform as a speedboat. In glass calm conditions only? In ocean rollers? With empty water ballast only, or also with full water ballast? In chop? I just bought a well used 1999 Mac26x . One of the features that drew me to these boats was the speedboat options. I love sailing. But, I also long to be able to speed over to Catalina on a calm morning in 2hrs rather than 6-8hrs. Is this a realistic expectation, or not? Is it hard on the boat to motor at top speed with full water ballast? Is it hard on the boat to do this in other than glass or only light wind conditions? Is it safe to make like a speedboat through open ocean to Catalina from LA Light and Hurricane gultch to Two Harbors?

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Speed Boat is a bit of an exaggeration. My 26m with an Etec 60 will do about 20 mph with empty ballast tank, 12 gallons of gas, and four adults weighing less than 650 lbs combined. This is also without provisions for more than a day sail.

Some have installed outboards of 90-115 hp and gotten pretty good speed. See

Mine is a wet ride running fast into a chop.

On a calm day it would be a pleasant run. In a chop, you could get there quicker, but it might not be all that enjoyable. Although, you wouldn't enjoy a fast run in a big chop in many boats.

I suspect you will top out in the 15-17 range with a 50hp.

Be very careful trying to operate without ballast. Running with ballast will slow you down by a couple of mph, but is much safer if you have several aboard. Read the manual and discuss it with other X owners.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I went out on an X with a 50hp on Lake Michigan. Not huge waves, but 1-2 footers. The Mac wallowed badly and would not plane.

Not sure how heavy he was loaded, but it was clear that his boat was not very fast.

Turned me off the MacGregor M that I was considering.

Greg

Dec 6, 2018
MacGregor 19 Lake Isabella
Jim26m thank you for sharing your experience! I was planning to try with full ballast sacrificing speed and mpg for stability. Tally Ho thank you for sharing your experience. Personally I do not need a ski boat. I understand the a motor/sailor/trailerable boat compromises in all areas to accommodate some performance in all areas. I'm ok with that if it doesn't sacrifice safety. Just hoping to get 15mph on a plane. Wallowing would be a concern. I am hoping to hear more from those who have experiences with both sailing and planing the Mac26x especially in the Southern California Catalina Channel.