Macgregor 26D 1987 project restoration

Jul 3, 2018
Macgregor 26D Trailer Sailor
So, I bought a 1987 Macgregor 26D last week , with trailer, that has been sitting in the desert for over 5 years. Almost all of the hardware is rusted and the deck is soft on both sides of the forward hatch, but the pieces are all there. The port side shroud deck hardware was somehow pulled through the deck presenting a small fiberglass repair. After reading that you guys like to see projects, I hope I can successfully navigate posting pictures so I can here feedback from Mac 26D owners.

I bought the boat from a friend of a friend who needed the money, $3600, so I paid the asking price. It's been sailed primarily in the San Francisco Bay by the second owners, and I'm the 3rd. I'm new to sailing but not new to boating, but have been off the water for awhile. So I hope this project helps my 12 year old son and me learn repairs and rigging while I complete ASA 101 and 103 sailing courses, and offer me timely opportunity to learn to sail. I too would like to cruise with a live aboard in a few years while keeping this Mac 26 D trailer sailor ready to travel, Great Lakes, San Juan islands, San Fran bay, etc. , feeling it's best for protected waters. Anyways, here we go.

Jul 3, 2018
So, here are some pictures from last week. The boat was pretty nasty due to neglect so my first order is to clean. My plan is to assess, repair, upgrade, sail. Any feedback is welcomed, positive and/or negative.

Attachments

Jul 3, 2018
Here it is after a little work. I think the daggerboard is in pretty great condition for a patch and paint, showing a before, and then after sanding. I'm allotting $5400 for the boat project bringing the total cost to $9000, so any input on how to spend the cash would be welcomed also. I ordered me disk break assembly for the trailer and a few new parts like upgraded sink faucet with water bag, ballast sealing gasket, daggerboard rope, rudder rigging...

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Welcome and you are off to a good start by cleaning everything so you can determine what you have to do.

To better help you, did the boat come with an outboard? If so what shape is it in?
How about the mast, standing rigging, rudder and other outside hardware?
Sails?
Running rigging?

Sumner
=============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 3, 2018
Hey Sumner, thanks for commenting. Yes on the motor 9.9 Tohatsu. I have the Manuel but it's disintegrating so I'm going to photocopy it and attempt initial maintenance to get it started.(pics).

I have the main sale and jib. Feels crisp but haven't taken them out, previous owner said he did and said they're good. We'll see. I haven't taken them out until now know how to properly roll or fold them, seems to me rolling would be better than folding, I don't know. (Pics)

The mast appears good. (Pics) needs new rigging hardware, blocks?, the cables seem alright. Not sure if I should budget in standing rigging, will definately need new running rigging, mainsheet package, and I'm thinking a rolling furling system for the job. (Pics)

The rudder looks great, little paint chipping but I'll sand patch and coat it.(pics)

Included a (pic) of one boom end.

I also removed the aluminum swim platform leaving 8 holes in the transom to fill, I dremmeled them to open them up a little more to better receive the patch.(pics)

Any further input you have is welcomed.

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I replaced my standing rigging...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-24.html

... not to hard but the swage tool wasn't cheap. I also added a roller furler and had riggingonly.com make up the forestay for it as you can't make one easily (see the link above also) and they could also make up the other rigging. Might be a good time to do that, maybe last thing.

The outboard looks to be one of the older carbureted ones from the housing. Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Tohatsu motors are great so I'd expect it to still be fine. Change the lower end oil and the upper if a 4 stroke and I'd replace the impeller also as it could be old and maybe ready to come apart.

Was the swim ladder beyond repair? Really nice to have a ladder back there.

Lots of jobs, but plug away at them and you will end up with a fun boat,

Sumner
=========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 3, 2018
I agree, new standing rigging and roller furler system before setting sail. Thanks for the link.

The Tohatsu is a 2 stroke M9.9B. Looks very usable, setting future sights on a nice new 7-10 hp 4 stroke.

The swim ladder could be restored. I didn't like the way it was mounted inside the transom, looked like a quick install using scrap fiberglass panels. Probably go with a stainless steal ladder if I put one on the stern, but may grab an over the side west marine special if the dimensions fit.

Ok, stay tuned.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Congrats with the boat purchase.
I just got one of my 26D's ready to cruise a few weeks ago. I have pretty much documented it all on my Vlog. Here
Tip: Every thing (Every Thing!) attached to the top of the boat leaks. Bed it with Butyl tape. Search this site for info on how to do that.
I've got that boat in Britt on Georgian Bay and will be cursing in it in a week or so. (I'll also be working on the wiring mess that the last guy left. )
Good luck. You've come to the right forum to get your questions answered.

Jun 4, 2015
Macgregor 26D Lake Country, BC
Ditto on finding 41’s comment about everything leaking!!!! The butyl tape available from Maine Sail is amazing stuff.....using it everywhere, not just on the boat. My 88 26D has had a ton of restoration....started with building a new tandem trailer, rebuilding the rudder, lots of fiberglas work here and there, an endless but fun list. Most important.....get to go sailing with the boat launch just a few minutes from our house!!! Looking good Brad!

Jul 3, 2018
Hey there finding41. Thanks, and thanks for the butyl tape boat tip. I watched a video and ordered 20' of the stuff in white. Appears a lot less mess than calk at less cost.

I watched one of your videos with the wiring mess. I'm dealing with the same exact 3 switch and fuse confusion but my wires want to break and disintegrate at the slightest movement. As far as I can tel the 3 fuses are soldered together in front of the switches and a lead from those fuses goes directly to the battery. Horizontally from the fuses, each fuse sends a short wire to the center prong on a corresponding switch. Each switch receives a positive and negative wire from whichever light that particular switch services. It's an opportunity for me to upgrade the wiring. I'm glad you guys showed up. Getting some good insight.

Jul 3, 2018
Thanks Rowlando, I have my work cut out for me but I believe the payoff will be worth the effort. It's hull #79 , which I think is pretty cool given Macgregor made 5-7 thousand of the 26 models.

I used to live a few blocks from several boat ramps, but now I live in the desert. It's okay though, I'm a couple hours from the pacific coast and there are a few very large lakes to explore within a half day drive, also up north San Fran Bay and San Juan Islands.

You mentioned rebuilding the rudder. I heard there was a modification that improved the strength and performance of the stock rudder but haven't researched it specifically. Is the modification what you wrote of or were you repairing a rudder to original form?

Again glad you guys are here.

Jun 4, 2015
Macgregor 26D Lake Country, BC
My rudder was so loose in the aluminum channel where the swivel bolt is.....just seemed wallowed out making it real sloppy. I drilled out the old bolt hole with a 3” hole saw and reinforced the area with a composite material called fiberfrax, then redrilled the swivel hole. Much better, no play in the rudder. It is the original rudder and seems to steer just fine. I know others have altered or replaced their rudders to a wider one.....I don’t see a need for the pleasure sailing I do. You have to make sure the rudder is all the way down and has no play...very important for it to work properly I think. Cheers!
3FBC77C7-6731-4146-9C88-0D6FDADD0338.jpeg

Jul 3, 2018
Thanks Rowlando, and thanks again for that butyl tape tip. I bought a nice fat roll of the stuff. Looking forward to more fiberglass, paint, and stainless polish.