Registered users don't see ads

Macgregor 25

Discussion in 'Ask A Macgregor Owner' started by exgeologist, Jan 17, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. exgeologist

exgeologist

Joined Sep 18, 2018
    7 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26s
    US DETROIT
    In the spring I am looking to buy a MacGregor 25 or similar craft. Anyone know of one available within about 300 miles or so of Detroit?

2. THECUSCUS

THECUSCUS

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    843 posts, 54 likes
    Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38
    US NORTH EAST, MD
    Craigslist and Ebay are good places to find Macs

3. exgeologist

exgeologist

Joined Sep 18, 2018
    7 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26s
    US DETROIT
    Thank you. I will look them up.

4. Freedom77

Freedom77

Joined Jul 29, 2010
    1,336 posts, 35 likes
    Macgregor 76 V-25 #928
    US Lake Mead, Nevada
    Venture 25 and Mac 25 are pretty similar. Mac is a bit lighter. Stock fractional rig on both.

5. Tsatzsue

Tsatzsue

Joined May 16, 2011
    485 posts, 50 likes
    Macgregor V-25
    US Charlton, MA- Trailer
    Best investment I ever made. A complete blast.

vwjon Mac25 likes this.
  6. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,457 posts, 1,118 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    If not buying until Spring, this would be the time to start discussing what you want in a boat. Trailerability? Finished? Fixerupper? and so on...
    Many forms of classifieds out there with possible listings. Spring could be a sellers market as weather gets better.

Meriachee likes this.
  7. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,190 posts, 1,065 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    I'd agree with Justin, the price goes up in the spring, and if they figure they're famous, well, you know where it goes from there.

Justin_NSA likes this.
  8. exgeologist

exgeologist

Joined Sep 18, 2018
    7 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26s
    US DETROIT
    Thanks guys. Make sense to me too. It seems like a lot of these used sailboat sites, do not update their offerings of you sailboats. I'm seeing some sailboats that are still listed in there after being initially put in there in 2011 or 2012. That's a long time ago. I think a lot of these used sailboat sites are clickbait for some sort of a phishing software. I think they might be collecting email addresses and stuff. Some of these advertisements are extremely old.

9. exgeologist

exgeologist

Joined Sep 18, 2018
    7 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26s
    US DETROIT
    Also, if you make an inquiry into the boat, the boat is either already been sold for years, or there is no response.

10. RussC

RussC

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    1,219 posts, 564 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US Oregon lakes
    typically they will show it as being sold on the ad. they leave them up because many people are wanting to use the site to get an idea of the value of a particular boat they have interest in buying or selling. I haven't seen any evidence of it being click bait.

11. cb32863

cb32863

Joined Jun 29, 2010
    951 posts, 179 likes
    Beneteau First 235
    US Lake Minnetonka, MN
    I would have to agree with this. Some of the sites are one man operations and updating things can take a while. Also, if the boat isn't reported as sold, then it stays up there. The software they run probably does not have a way of expiring an ad as they are just simple content management software suites. Expiring things start bringing databases and more complex code in the back ground to the party which, cost money. Seeing as these sites have an ad driven revenue model for the most part, the most bang for the buck is what gets implemented.

12. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,457 posts, 1,118 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    I agree also. To my knowledge, Allison Luckenbach still operates sailingtexas.com by herself since her husband died.
    I sold my Mac on there. She just asks for a donation if you sell and she will even help set up your ad. It's a nationwide service.

13. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,190 posts, 1,065 likes
    Catalina 270
    SailingTexas is way too big and busy to be a charity.

14. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,457 posts, 1,118 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    I don't think it's a charity. They don't have set fees. Usually a percentage of the sale is asked.

15. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,190 posts, 1,065 likes
    Catalina 270
    That’s what I mean. The site really deserves a pricing structure.

Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.