Macgregor 25 Family of 5

Jun 18, 2017
Macgregor 25 Victoria
I have sailed before mostly on dinghies but also have some experience on yachts. I am looking to buy my first boat and there's a decent looking Macgregor 25 for sale.

We are a family of 5 with 3 boys ages 5,7 and 8. Will this boat be too small for day cruises and a few overnights?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The M25 is a great sailing boat, but I'd call it a "blank slate" interior, as manufactured. The V-berth is kinda short for adults of average stature, but fine for the kids. would be great as a day sailer, but might take some mods to be comfortable to overnight the whole family.
it's a very safe and secure boat to learn with, with no real surprises.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sounds like fun and a great starter. Space was important to me but safety was more. I wanted a solid boat with a good set of sails and reliable motor. Confirm those or budget to fix or replace as required.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Absolutely! have three girls and a dog and we have gone for long weekends. Its like camping on the water. I just got back from a four day Buzzard's Bay trip with the guys. Our annual Father's day trip/ Three of us. I even use the roller reefing of the main. Works great. Have a good motor and stay on top of all the moving and non moving parts and it is a great boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It will be "cozy" with 5. Try it. If it doesn't work out you don't have a lot of money tied up. Like Russ says, they come pretty spartan. You 'll have to bring the creature comforts with you.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Nothing against the 25, but I'd take a hard look at either the 26D or 26S.

They both have that huge aft berth that is queen size and I'll bet all three kids will fit there for some time.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-5.html

I also enlarged the V-berth to make it much roomier for us as we use the aft berth for storage on trips.

They also have some other very nice features, such as lighter on a trailer with the water ballast. You might find one for not much more than a 25,

Sumner
=================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Uhh. I doubt you'll find a 26d or s for similar money to the 25. at least not in similar condition. I'll admit to some jealousy over the aft berth of the 26, but out here they go for ~8K compared to 2.5 - 3K for a 25 in similar condition. I also prefer the solid ballast of the 25 myself, but I hear the 26 water ballast is a very fine boat also.

Last edited:

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
I have a 26D. I am 6'2", I feel claustrophobic in the standard V berth. The aft birth is okay. I use the V berth for storage. We have two sons in college and a daughter finishing up high school. All five of us fit in the cockpit okay. I handle the tiller and the moveable ballast when tacking. Son and or admiral work the foredeck.

All boats are a compromise. Go to Summner's website and read it carefully, it is invaluable resource for Macgregor mods. Also look a RussC's prior posts for photos and information on the 25. All good boats, make best choice for your family. Consider taking sailing classes also.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Depends on the price and condition of the boat. 5 on a 25 ft boat overnight is pretty cramped. If I could go larger for a similar price I would. The other consideration is where you are going to keep it. Trailer? 25 is about the max for trailering. Slip? Marinas charge by the foot.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
For an occasional over-night trip it would be fine. I know a family of 5 who use their Mac-25 for week long trips. It seems to work fine for them but for me that would be a bit cramped. Dropping the table every night to make the bed gets old fast and, unless you plan to go shopping every day or eat out every meal, you need room for provisions. I much prefer to the queen bed of our 26D.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
We have a 26S, and we sleep in the v-berth. She's petite, so she sleeps behind the head partition. I'm 6-1 and 230...i sleep on the port side that is open to the long port settee. So i don't have anything to bump my head against. We do okay so far for one night at a time. Sumner does weeks at a time, so he extended his v-berth.

Once we get all the storage situated, we may try the big cavernous pizza oven in the back. It is quite large, and i agree that it would be better for fitting a growing family.

The other comment was just that with more than the two of us, it is hard to move about in our cockpit, particularly when sailing or motoring. So you do have to split up responsibilities and kinda stay put when under way. Or else you'll play musical chairs or leap-frog, sometimes both. With smaller kids, you'll fit fine. As they grow, you may find it a little cramped. You have to be okay with rubbing legs, bumping knees, knocking into each other, etc. because you don't really "walk around" in these cockpits. (Also, I've only seen the cockpit of a 25, never sailed in one. They may actually be longer than ours because they don't have the lazarette at the back end.)

But if you're creative, there are also air mattresses, sleeping in the cockpit with mosquito netting, hammocks, etc. You can make it work if you want, especially if you get along well as a family. I agree with most of the advice that's been given already. Go sailing with someone and see. Put all five of you in someone's boat and see how it feels. Check out the 26D & S also to compare. It is worth taking the time up front.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Our 25 is just set up for two people-------
but
2 in the V berth
2 in Cockpit
1 on the settee(?)
1 on the aft seat for the table (cross ways) using one of the ice chests to fill in the caps.
All adults.
We use two ice chests that get moved around, bungeed to the port settee when sailing or secured to the sliding hatch when anchored or ????
We do not cook (who wants to do dishes or pots and pans). A trip to the deli for sliced meats, prepped lettuce and things in zip lock bags and fresh bread. Lots of water.
One life vest (or more) for each person whether worn or not is strewn around the cockpit ( pillows, back rests, etc.)
Remember to have fun and no one rides for free!
You can see some pictures of ours here.
http://s361.photobucket.com/user/Tmebandt/library/?sort=6&page=1

Jul 9, 2017
Macgregor Venture Seattle
We are a family of 5.. kids are 17,15 and 10. We just got back from a two night stay just off of Mercer Island during the Fourth of July weekend. There was plenty of room and we were able to cook all of our meals right on the boat with ease . We picked up a Magma Catalina grill and a Coleman 2 burner stove for bacon, eggs and coffee in the morning. Buy the boat after doing a full inspection of the keel, hull and trailer. Yes there will always be something newer and nicer out there but don't let vanity get in your way cherish what you have and cherish every moment with the family on the water. I have owned boats my whole life and for the past three years I was with out one because I was trying to figure out ways to get that nice brand new boat.. I found myself starting to become a dreamer and not a doer like I had always been before. We have had the Jenny love for only a few months now but have already spent eight days enjoying quality family time on her.

Last edited:
May 16, 2011
We are a family of 5.. kids are 17,15 and 10. We just got back from a two night stay just off of Mercer Island during the Fourth of July weekend. There was plenty of room and we were able to cook all of our meals right on the boat with ease . We picked up a Magma Catalina grill and a Coleman 2 burner stove for bacon, eggs and coffee in the morning. Buy the boat after doing a full inspection of the keel, hull and trailer. Yes there will always be something newer and nicer out there but don't let vanity get in your way cherish what you have and cherish every moment with the family on the water. I have owned boats my whole life and for the past three years I was with out one because I was trying to figure out ways to get that nice brand new boat.. I found myself starting to become a dreamer and not a doer like I had always been before. We have had the Jenny love for only a few months now but have already spent eight days enjoying quality family time on her.
Right On!!

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
I have sailed before mostly on dinghies but also have some experience on yachts. I am looking to buy my first boat and there's a decent looking Macgregor 25 for sale.

We are a family of 5 with 3 boys ages 5,7 and 8. Will this boat be too small for day cruises and a few overnights?
Do it!!!!!! Now!!!! Go sailing this weekend!!!! Your kids r not going to ever notice or care about the amount of space. Your gonna smile (after hours, wink) cause the wife is happy the boys are happy and occupied and exhausted and sleeping from the adventures.

I did it for more than a decade with three boys family of five on a 25. I ran a line down the length of the boat and put life jackets and harnesses on the boys and tethered them to the line. Easier to retrieve them ;)

Better than camping with a tent. You will never get wet from weather.

Auto pilot made life easier to leave helm while tending to their needs. We traveled and sailed waters from the chesapeke to the lake of the osarks. Many many memories! Do it quick!!!!!

I had a raymarine tiller pilot. If you are handy with electical, there's simrad tiller pilots for sale on the cheap with cut cords on ebay. I bought one. Had to open it up and free the mechanical from dragging as well.

A plus is the iron keel is more stable than water ballast for my tastes. Negative for iron keel had to have more depth to launch boat. Get the 25.

Last edited:
May 16, 2011
Do it!!!!!! Now!!!! Go sailing this weekend!!!! Your kids r not going to ever notice or care about the amount of space. Your gonna smile (after hours, wink) cause the wife is happy the boys are happy and occupied and exhausted and sleeping from the adventures.

I did it for more than a decade with three boys family of five on a 25. I ran a line down the length of the boat and put life jackets and harnesses on the boys and tethered them to the line. Easier to retrieve them ;)

Better than camping with a tent. You will never get wet from weather.

Auto pilot made life easier to leave helm while tending to their needs. We traveled and sailed waters from the chesapeke to the lake of the osarks. Many many memories! Do it quick!!!!!

I had a raymarine tiller pilot. If you are handy with electical, there's simrad tiller pilots for sale on the cheap with cut cords on ebay. I bought one. Had to open it up and free the mechanical from dragging as well.

A plus is the iron keel is more stable than water ballast for my tastes. Negative for iron keel had to have more depth to launch boat. Get the 25.
I am right with you! We have had a blast. There had never been a shortage of adventure. My girls were young when we got the boat and have learned how to sail, read the wind and seen all that nature has to offer from the water. Here is a clip of a typical day/ evening after sailing. Anchored up making dinner and chilling out. We were woken up by cows swimming in the water!
Ken B.

May 16, 2011
I am right with you! We have had a blast. There had never been a shortage of adventure. My girls were young when we got the boat and have learned how to sail, read the wind and seen all that nature has to offer from the water. Here is a clip of a typical day/ evening after sailing. Anchored up making dinner and chilling out. We were woken up by cows swimming in the water!
Ken B.
Not sure why it flipped sideways!

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta

I see you are in Victoria BC ,From what I can see there are tons of boats for sale in your area , and with all the water in your area I would opt for a bit more boat Like a Catalina 26 or 27 an overnighter in a simple mac might get old pretty quick specially with all the beautiful coves and moorings in your area.