Macgregor 22 keel cable

Apr 12, 2016
Macgregor Venture 222 Waconia
Hi all,

The keel cable on my Macgregor 22 looks like it's getting a little frayed (see pics). Any ideas on what type/gauge of cable to get (I assume stainless from a local hardware store might work) and what the exact length should be? (I only sail in fresh water, if that matters) My cable seems a little short, I crank it down 33 turns and it only has a couple winds on the spool left.

Feel free to pass along any other tips, like how to cut the cable to length (hacksaw?) and how to connect it up, or it I should order some new connectors/bolts (I've never seen the connection on the keel...)

Thanks much,
-Jed

Attachments

Apr 12, 2016
Great. Thanks Russ. I wonder if I'll need to cut it shorter, or if the extra length will fit in the spool. Any thoughts?

I'd like to order a new bolt too, to have it on hand when I do the job, but I don't know what size/length. Does anyone know specifically the specs on that bolt that holds the cable to the keel?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The BWY cable fits several different models so I think your 22 would benefit from removing a couple feet. I expect they will provide exact measurements for your boat with the cable.
I seem to recall the bolt being SS 5/8 x 5 1/2" . BWY also has a kit for that that includes the cup washers and rubber seals etc.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Two points to consider. If you plan to purchase it from BWY you'll be in good shape. If you plan to purchase it from another source ask for "wire rope" NOT "cable." Wire rope is flexible. Cable is way too stiff for your application.

Secondly, a hacksaw won't work. A cable cutter works best for cutting wire rope but most people don't want to buy one to be only used once. The second option would be to wrap the wire rope with electrical tape to keep it from fraying. Then use a dermal with a cutting disk in the center of the tape. ***DON'T FORGET SAFETY GLASSES***

Apr 12, 2016
Great info, thanks.

One other item. As you see from he pictures, the crack spool is worn on the right inner wall. This is due to the cable scraping on that side, as the cable and keel swings forward. I was thinking about putting a shim to help tilt the crank (tilt the back of the crank plate down) so the cable will hopefully come off the spool without hitting the sidewalk of the spool.

Any thoughts on this, problem that caused the fraying In the first place?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Any thoughts on this, problem that caused the fraying In the first place?
Most likely because of a poor lay of the cable on the spool, with over-wraps and such. The spool's drum wall looks like it's doing just fine from what I can see.

Apr 12, 2016
On cutting the wire rope. Can I possibly get it done with my bolt cutters? (I don't have a cutting disc)?

Attachments