Macgregor 1988 26D sealing shroud deck straps

Aug 21, 2018
Macgregor 26D Del river and forked river
when I cleaned out the caulk from the shroud deck straps there’s a fair amount of play in the deck penetration and the cover plate holes are blown out. If I block the strap to center the hole and caulk I’m not sure it wouldn’t move. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The cap plates on the 26 are sloppy. Regular outdoor rated tub silicon is probably best for the job and will have to be re-applied every 2-3 years.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
when I cleaned out the caulk from the shroud deck straps there’s a fair amount of play in the deck penetration and the cover plate holes are blown out. If I block the strap to center the hole and caulk I’m not sure it wouldn’t move. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff.
Please post a picture so we can see what you're talking about.

The way to prevent leaks at the chainplates isn’t by trying to stop movement. The proven and effective method is to use an adhesive sealant that elongates enough to accommodate movement without tearing or pulling loose.

Usually, you want at least 1/16 of an inch gap on all sides of the chain plate. You fill the gap with stretchy, adhesive sealant. With 1/6" or more sealant in the gap, the sealant can elongate sufficiently to accommodate movement between the hull and the chain plate.

My Local Boatyards use sikaflex 291 LOT for sealing chain plates. It takes a few days to cure completely, but it is ideal for bedding chainplates. Very adhesive to metal and fiberglass. Highly elastic with up 700 % elongation

3M 4200 cures a lot faster but elongation before breaking is only ~400 %

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I use butyl tape also, and aluminum rivets to hold the little cover in place.