Macerator Through Hull and backflow question

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Hey All,
I'm just really curious: I have a Johnson TA3P10-19 Mfg# 10-24453-01 macerator pump. As far as i can tell, the plumbing is "normal" in that the holding tank pumpout hose is intercepted by a "T" to the macerator and connected to a smaller exit hose straight to a through hull.

Theoretically... >IF< I were to leave that through-hull open all day, every day for weeks, is there anything keeping backflow of seawater going through the macerator? The holding tank appears to be mostly below waterline (I think).

And if indeed that is the case, during normal use, while you're macerating, how much seawater can come back in after you turn off the macerator and when you close the thru hull? Do I need to hurry up in seconds or I'll get seawater in my tank? Just trying to understand. Thanks.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Theoretically... >IF< I were to leave that through-hull open all day, every day for weeks, is there anything keeping backflow of seawater going through the macerator?
Without a vented loop in the line (which needs to be the same 6-8" above waterline *at any angle of heel,* same as the ones in the toilet inlet and discharge lines) between the pump and the thru-hull, nothing is preventing it. The macerator pump will slow it down, so you don't have to close it in a panic...but it'll allow seepage that'll rise at least to the boat's waterline--which from what you describe would come close to filling it with sea water.

With or without a vented loop in the line, that thru-hull should be kept closed except when dumping the tank...for several reasons: 1. it's illegal to have it open when you're inside the "3 mile limit." That could result in an expensive citation if you're ever inspected. 2. thru-hulls left open while no one is aboard is a leading cause of boats sinking in their slips. 3. seacocks that are never "exercised" are never lubricated either...so they have a nasty habit of seizing, making it impossible to close 'em when you need to. So keep it closed except when you're dumping the tank.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Jun 2, 2014
Thanks Peggie!
I assumed as much for everything you said, I just wanted to make sure. There is no vented loop on the macerater-to-thruhull as you suggested. And one time after I thought I had emptied the holding tank, I returned to the boat to find the toilet backed up. Thought it was just time to change the joker valve and I must've forgot it was full or something.
But then the next time I took the boat out and went to dump it, the macerator thru hull was already open! Oops! So, I started thinking about the whole situation, and wanted to ask.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
I’m not familiar with that particular macerator, but in general they are impeller pumps. The impeller seals against the body but not 100%, so you can experience some backflow. I would never leave the thru hull open, but you won’t have a problem flooding if you don’t close it immediately.

Jun 2, 2014
Well, I would never lever it open either. Theoretically this would be an accident.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is there room to have the macerator pump located so that is is above the water line. I personally don't like the idea of a any pump being submerged in salt water with a load of effluent and urine above it if you could avoid it.

The pump can suck-out the holding tank, it doesn't need to be simply gravity feed, does it?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On my 93 there was what looked like a check valve between the macerator and thru hull. Macerator was leaking so it along with the hose and check valve went into the trash. We have easy access to a pump out.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Check valves wouldn't be something that I think you depend on. Aside for general lack of reliablity, they depend on being clean and having a clear "back flow" in terms of pressure and volume.

A submerged check valve which you've been pushing sh** thru would not like keep water from coming back up.

The other issue is that on a sailboat, it rises and falls as you move through the seaway. That creates a "pattern" that really would be challenging for a check valve. It might restrict flow for a while, but...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Is there room to have the macerator pump located so that is is above the water line. I personally don't like the idea of a any pump being submerged in salt water with a load of effluent and urine above it if you could avoid it.
If there's water in the bilge deep enough to even partially submerge a macerator pump, whether it is submerged would be the least of your problems! But if you're only concerned about it being below the waterline, bilge pumps and sump pumps are installed below waterline.. Toilet pumps are at least partially below the waterline on most boats.
A macerator pump can lift up to 4', so it can be mounted above the tank if there's room for it. That would eliminate the need for a vented loop in the tank discharge line.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Check valves wouldn't be something that I think you depend on.
I don't disagree.
Here's a photo of it. It's to the top right corner of the aqua lift muffler.
Check Valve Maybe.jpg

Is it something else?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That wasn't the only bizarre thing about your plumbing when you bought the boat, Ward...I couldn't believe anyone could have done what I saw in your photographs! You've done an excellent job of getting rid of all of it and doing it right.
--Peggie

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Interesting timing. I was talking to a surveyor who had just finished surveying a 89 C30 in my marina this past weekend. He asked about how my macerator discharge was plumbed because on that 89 the discharge hose went direct from the macerator to the discharge thru hull. (no check valve on this one) He couldn't believe it was plumbed without a three way valve. He advised the new owners to wire the thru hull valve closed so they would be compliant with no discharge requirements and they wouldn't be going off shore.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A lot of boat builders use tees instead of y-valves...which I don't like either because it doesn't provide any way to shut off the flow of tank contents to the macerator pump when (not IF, definitely WHEN) the macerator pump needs a new impeller or other work.

If you know you're never gonna dump a tank, I'd eliminate the plumbing to the thru-hull instead of just wiring it closed. If/when circumstances change and you want to be able to do that, it's a simple matter to cut the hose and install it. The macerator won't remain in working condition if it sits unused more than a year or two anyway.

--Peggie

Jun 2, 2014
Yes, I have had to replace my macerator before. And I only have a T. You have to wear gloves and use lots of paper towel and make sure the tank is empty before you start