macerator r@r

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Hello Skippers
I need to replace my O.E. JABSCO Model 18590 macerator on my 08 H41DS. It looks fairly simple, easy to access, etc. Holding tank will be empty, holding tank is lower than macerator so there should NOT BE any issues with liquids. If any of you have done this R@R on this hull.., are there any surprises? Am I overlooking something ? Suggestions ?
Thanks all

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
when ever i work on my hold tank related stuff i just remind myself its my family's excrement cant be that bad

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I replaced my Jabsco with an exact duplicate. Lasted one season. Read all the forums and bought a very expensive Sealand supposed to be the Rolls Royce of poop pumps. Lasted one season. Replaced the whole works with a cheapo ebay hand pump. Three years and still pumping. Takes maybe 5 or 6 minutes to pump out the tank.
In hindsight, I think you need to install the pump so it slants up a little bit so it drains back into the tank after use and that you put several gallons of clean water through it after you empty the tank. The sludge seems to eat all of the seals in the Jabco, and the brass screws that hold it together. You need to find a way to clean after use. Maybe Peggy will chime in with a definite pronouncement.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Jim, it would take a week for enough water to backfill through a macerator pump--especially one that's above the tank--to even start to rinse it out.

The sludge seems to eat all of the seals in the Jabco, and the brass screws that hold it together. You need to find a way to clean after use. Maybe Peggy will chime in with a definite pronouncement.
Sailem8, I can't imagine what you could possibly have done to a SeaLand T-Pump that could destroy it in just a year!

Holding tanks, like everything else on a boat, require maintenance. There shouldn't be an accumulation of sludge in a tank deep enough to damage a pump. I've posted instructions for flushing the sludge out of the tank at least half a dozen times...and I've included 'em in my book. It doesn't need to be done after every use, but it should be done at least 2-3x/season, every 2-3 months if you sail year round, and especially in preparation for winter or any other extended layup...and it needs to include rinsing out the overboard discharge pump and plumbing. Here they are one last time:

Pump out the tank, or dump it at sea. Then put enough water into the tank via the deck pumpout--'cuz that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be pumped out--to cover the bottom to a depth of 4-6"...it can be fresh water at the dock or sea water using a washdown pump. Pump out or dump...repeat...repeat...repeat...till you're pumping or dumping clean water. If you're doing it at the pumpout dock, then do it one more time with the overboard discharge pump running. If you're doing it offshore using the washdown pump, just let the water keep running while you dump the tank. Quit when you're dumping clean water. Tank products like No-Flex Digester help to keep sludge at a minimum.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
On a deeper water line boat, like mine, it takes about 15 minutes to back flow and fill my 25 gallon hold tanks.
Jim...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Through a macerator pump located above the tank??? That makes me wonder if there's anything left of the impeller in the macerator, whether it's only draining the tank via gravity. 'Cuz the pump should create a blockage in the line that water should only be able to seep back through...especially in a line running uphill. It's possible that an effect called "ram water" (water forced up a line through an open thru-hull by the pressure of the water against the hull when the boat is underway) could do it, but highly doubtful while the boat's at rest.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Thanks Peggy and all. I am certain this Jabsco 18590 is OE so 10 years of service is good. I have regularly flushed the holding tank, ( pump out, fill with fresh water thru the pump out port, pump out again). I also run 1 gallon of fresh water thru the heads when leaving the boat. What I haven't done is purge the Macerator /discharge system. What I think I should do is; pump out, fill 1/2 with fresh water and then pump that rinse water out thru the macerator instead of dockside pump out thereby purging the complete waste system. BTW unless there is a emergency our holding tank is #1 only. Thoughts?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I run vegetable oil thru mine after a good pump out to lube and it helps keep impeller from getting brittle

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Just did mine last year Dakno. Not an issue just a little stuff in the line. Just a little material that I caught and cleaned up. Mine turned out to be a tampon stuck in the maserator blade which sheared the blade off the shaft. Been working fine since. I replaced it with a new one then rebuilt the old one to use as a spare.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Thoughts?
Sounds like you have a great routine flushing for longevity of your Head system.
If your tank is Aluminum, and you have a long "beer" holiday week, you can flush some Baking soda/water mix to help neutralize #1.;)

The failure of my Jabsco was not the seals nor the motor, but the impeller. I suspect that it became embrittled after 17 years. We did retrieve all of the impeller from our camera inspected hold tank.
Jim...

PS: I suspect you are doing most of you sailing on Lake Ponchartrain.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Through a macerator pump located above the tank???
Sure, as long as the pump discharge line is below the boat's water line and your tank vent line is open.;)
Jim...

PS: This is way to verify your Hold tank vent is open. Think siphon.
PSS: This back flow can also help free a jammed Macerator pump.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
The Jabsco pumps were made to fail.
They were garbage with a Capital G.
What they did to save 5 cents was make the bolts which hold the motor to the impeller assy out of brass instead of stainless.
The putrid gasses and head "stuff" ate through them.
The newer pumps use stainless bolts, which is what they should have used from day one.
You can buy the bolts online to upgrade an older pump.
If your pump doesn't have the stainless bolts, it will leak and fail.
And before you figure out where the nasty smell is coming from in your boat, your mascerator pump will be casually dripping crud through the corroded bolts.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
JamesG161- We do most of our sailing in the Ms Sound. Our home base is Gulfport and the boat is currently summering in Pensacola Beach. I have obviously been negligent with maintaince of my black water system. That will be corrected. Thanks