mac 26d

May 10, 2017
Macgregor 26d My yard
This is my first post to the forum been reading and learning alot of great info on here. I have only owned power boats but Im ready to slow down and start enjoying the time in between point A and B. (instead of just the destinations)

so my problem is with the mac 26d i live on the columbia river is the daggerboard going to be an issue for me i have found a great looking well maintained 26d but kind of leary because of all the shoal areas and sand bars. i assume the swinging center board would be better?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I bought a S for the reasons you stated and since I wanted to explore different waters. If you know your waters well or only sail in deep water the D could be a good boat. Maybe talk to other sailors in that area that have fixed keels or dagger boards,

Sumner
=================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
A great looking, well maintained 26D would be great for the Columbia.
My 2 thoughts:
1: If you stay in the deeper areas of the river, you won't hit anything - remember bigger boats (with deeper draft) than these race up and down the Columbia
2: If you have to *sail* over shoal areas, the striaght-up-and-down daggerboard is better than the swing. Swinging the board up moves the effort back and changes your boats balance. Pulling the daggerbaord up a foot or 2 doesn't change where the effort is, in relation to the rig, only how much effort it is applying.
(if it were me, I'd probably pull it almost all the way up and motor around the shoals until I got really familiar with them)

Or just wait for an S model to come on the market!

Welcome to the club

(edit: But you can't get around the fact that hitting anything under the water will always end better with the swing board.)

May 10, 2017
Macgregor 26d My yard
Thanks for the quick replies I appreciate it I'm gonna go look at the boat and see if it's everything I'm hoping it will be

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
You've come to the right place! Be sure to browse Sumner's pages on his Mac mods.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Congratulations! We're eager to help. We'll take any excuse to talk about sailboats.