mac 26d rigging

May 10, 2017
Macgregor 26d My yard
alright so i finally took the boat out for the first time. but i dont think i had the lines that control the jib correct. so i ran the control lines from jib over the top of safetly lines on the outside and then into the eye ontop of the cabin then through the clutches. but i now notice alot of pictures people running them through the adjustable eyes back by the winches.
i have been googling mac 26d pictures and youtube videos seeing how they have them ran but its very hard to tell some have them in either place.??

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I would not suggest running your jib "sheets" through any type of captive cleat, especially a line clutch. The sheet should leave the sail's clew and travel to a lead block whose position controls the angle/twist of the sail. The sheet can then proceed to the winch... sometimes it is redirected through a turning block to give it a consistent angle to the winch.
Again, there should be no cleat between the sail and the winch. The cleat can be a cam cleat, clam or vee cleat,(no fairleads) or a jam cleat, which is horn shaped with a line pinching feature on one end. The cleat will be BEHIND the winch.... unlike a halyard winch set up. This enables you to use the friction of the drum to ease the sheet under control.... or throw off the sheet completely so it can run freely through the jib lead when you are tacking.

In a halyard application, the cleats are placed ahead of the winch.... and here, you can use a captive style cleat.... cam, clam or vee (with fairleads), clutches and stoppers. With the cleats ahead of the winch, a multitude of halyards and control lines can be employed by a single device.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017
Macgregor 26d My yard
Alright this is all making alot more sense now that I know what the winches are for lol thanks alot joe!!!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
If I understand your question..

A picture would help.. In the attached diagram you can see what looks like two different head sails. The smaller headsail in diagram (probably 100% or working jib) runs the sheets lines INSIDE the lifelines. The larger headsail in the diagram is some sort of Genoa and runs the sheets OUTSIDE the lifelines. So you first need to figure out what "size" headsail you have. An imaginary line drawn through the sheet line should about bisect the head sail at the mid point.

diagram1s.jpg

May 10, 2017
Macgregor 26d My yard
So I have both genoa and a jib never had the genoa up yet. Well thank you guys for the info I'm going out Tuesday going to try out all this knowledge and see what happens thanks again