Mac 25 Pop Top Seals?

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
My new to me Mac 25 has a nice pop top complete with lift springs and all that good stuff. It also has some sort of foam sealant - think pipe foam - attached (glued?) to the edge of the top itself. Besides being ugly (UGLY), like most things foam, it is getting brittle and falling apart.

Somewhere, in my travels of websites offering all things boats for sail, I had seen some sort of rubber seal that if I recall correctly went into the groove that the top sits in. I want to say it was some sort of omega seal looking thing. I thought I had seen it on the Blue Water Yachts store, but couldn't find it when I was looking for it today.

So, I guess my question is two fold - does anyone have a seal on their boat like that (or, do you really need it)? And any idea where to get one if it makes sense? I suppose worse come to worst I could always get some sort of rubber door sealer, and glue it in.

Thanks for any help/suggestions. This place is AWESOME for ideas and knowledge!

-Peter

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I thought I had seen it on the Blue Water Yachts store, but couldn't find it when I was looking for it today.
You could call 'em. Otherwise, there are some gasket materials available at your local brick 'n mortar stores. A "U" type could do the trick.

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
I was thinking something more like this:
https://www.amazon.com/D-Shape-Weat..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=BBEA9SG98ARC6CRXNBR3

It is smaller than I was thinking at about 1/2" wide, but really if the pop top sits at the bottom of the groove of the deck, then I should be able to sit this stuff in the middle and have the top settle on it. I was looking for about 1" - 1 1/2" wide, but that doesn't seem to be common.

The concrete expansion joint wouldn't seal, would it? Water would still get in I would think.

The adventure continues....!

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I used a stick on once. Worst thing I ever did. The gasket never stayed on and when it came off the glue ended up all over the canvas pop top cover. I am still trying to get it off. The windows and everything. I keep forgetting to clean it because it gets stowed every time. I suggest going to a good rubber seal like Wefco has. I just haven't done it yet. Every year there is a bigger project that takes the time to do this stuff. This year now trailer axle. Torsion to replace springs. The keel would tap the axle on the stock set up and ended up bowing it out. Tires were wearing out on the inside and lasting two years. All new mast supports for trailering as well. And mast raising system. Check out my posts on the club Facebook site. North East Trailer Sailors. I know a guy over there! Hahah.

May 16, 2011
After lots of research and staring at the boat I came up with my own rear support. Works great, does not force you to run aground when you forget to take it out (at night, 100 yard from the dock, under full sail, heading across buzzards Bay). Very simple. Another mod was to modify my stock rudder set up to allow for being able to raise and lower the rudder with out killing myself or destroying boat hook in the process. Here are a couple pics. I don't have a pic of the rudder set up as that was just done. I had to extend the fenders out. Rustoleum Aluminum to finish and it came out great. It never ends!! Sumner can attest to that. As long as there is imagination there are mods!! The boat looks filthy in those pics. It is much better now.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 16, 2011
While I'm sharing....I made this gantry a couple years ago to do trailer work. It also allows me to drop the keep for inspection quite easily. Costs about $100 and take a bout 1/2 hour to set up.

Attachments

May 16, 2011
Guys, Dig into the Wefco link. Drill down into marine, then hatch gaskets. The extrusion sample cross sections are actual size. Lots to choose from. Worth the look. I have ordered HVAC industry gasketting from them in the past. You can choose the color as well. Application specific for the need.

Feb 28, 2018
MacGregor 25 Orlando
Tsatzsue, the trailer looks great - haven't gotten into mine too much yet. What did you attach the strapping on the bow to? The bow U-bolt? I would love to do something like that - to drop the keel when the time comes, but I am thinking the marina won't like it - and I can't keep it at my house.

Every time I see that you live in Charlton, all I can think of is the light at the bottom of drop on Rt 20, right before going back up the hill, and how crazy the traffic always seemed to be there coming from Sturbridge.

Saw a profile that might work on Wefco, but then we're back to how to attach it - tape? Not sure I want to bolt it in, definitely don't want to 5200 it in!

May 16, 2011
Tsatzsue, the trailer looks great - haven't gotten into mine too much yet. What did you attach the strapping on the bow to? The bow U-bolt? I would love to do something like that - to drop the keel when the time comes, but I am thinking the marina won't like it - and I can't keep it at my house.

Every time I see that you live in Charlton, all I can think of is the light at the bottom of drop on Rt 20, right before going back up the hill, and how crazy the traffic always seemed to be there coming from Sturbridge.

Saw a profile that might work on Wefco, but then we're back to how to attach it - tape? Not sure I want to bolt it in, definitely don't want to 5200 it in!
That's Charlton! U bolt it is. I only load it when lifting the block the boat after the trailer is out.

May 16, 2011
It is a small world. This site is great for all that is Mac. Lots of help here. I would ask Wefco what to use. Probable a little silicon or sticky adhesive. Personally I am trying to stay away from silicon. It is a bitch to get off and once on nothing will stick to it or where it was. Butyl tape for everything now.