M25 Trailer electric brakes need controller?

Jul 1, 2018
Macgregor 25 New London
I think my electric brakes are just wired to the brake lights? I hardly felt the trailer behind my truck when I pulled it home. Heavy Quad cab Ram 1500 v8 so not like im in a small car. I can imagine they are working but is this how they go or do I need a brake controller? I'm about to rewire my trailer. Thanks.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If you have electric brakes you need a brake controller whereas if you have surge brakes you do not need one. My truck has a brake controller to operate the fifth wheel trailer electric brakes with a wiring harness connected from the trailer to the truck to operate them , as well as the trailer brake lights. My tandem ski boat trailer had surge brakes with a wiring harness from the trailer connected to the truck to operate the trailer brake lights. Hope that helps.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Lights are lights. Brake controllers vary the amount of signal to the solenoids based on input. If you were to wire the controller input to the lights, chances are (if it worked at all) the brakes would be full-on as soon as the lights came on. Good way to get the boat to come sit with you. Might be a good time to do some research.