M25 so Engine not throttling up past 2400

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Sorry its universal m25xp. Coming back a long trip I noticed my engine not throttling up past 2400 rpms Normally run at 2600rpms . Throttled down then wouldn't go past 2000rpms
Kept getting worse till the engine stalled . We were able to sail back to close to were we were headed .then had to be towed in . Figured it was dirty fuel filter . Changed both primary and secondary filters.There was some crud but not to bad . I had changed them at the beginning of the year . Once we got the new ones on got it running at the dock seemed ok . Took it back out after about 20 minutes started to do the same thing. Towed back in again . Had a mechanic look at it he found water in the Rocor bowl it looked like ice coffee. he suspected bad fuel. We had got fuel at our last stop. He pumped out the water put in a diesel additive said that would most likely that was the problem . We again ran it at the dock it sounded better . Ran it for an hour seemed ok . Next day went to start it it stalled right away called up mechanic he said it probably was some air in the line so I bleed the line .got it started up ran it again the dock for another hour took it out again to test it under load worked fine for about 30 minutes brought it up to 2600 rpms no problem even brought it up to 2800rpms for a few minutes again no problem bought it down to 1500rpms to check the lower end good no stall . When I went to bring it back up wouldn't get above 2400. This time it didn't stall . Need help any ideas ? And the lift pump is only a year old also when we got back checked the racor bowl no water in only pink fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the lengthy post .

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Maybe a clogged exhaust water injection elbow. These get clogged with carbon and can exhibit the symptoms you describe.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
+1 for the elbow, but make sure of the following
Lift pump actually running
Lift pump filter clean
Bleed valve open 1/4 turn
Color of smoke same as before
Volume of water exiting same as before.

Les

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Why would you leave the bleed valve open 1/4 turn, or at all???

I had this very same engine. I recall there's a bleed on the secondary fuel filter housing (low pressure side), and one on the injector pump (high pressure side).

I assume Les was suggesting this as a diagnostic procedure, not as a permanent 'adjustment.'

May 20, 2016
Do you leave the bleed valve open 1/4 turn?
Yes, it helps keep any residual air out of the injectors. It doesn’t impact performance because your only bleeding a tiny bit of fuel, the engine gets more than enough for the .5gal/hr it needs.

@jviss I leave it that way

Les

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
I will try anything about right now . Just to be certain this is the knurled thumb screw bleed valve?

May 20, 2016
Yup. Mine is a retrofit your tubing may look different.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is crap on the screen on the fuel tank suction line.
EF47B88C-BE1A-4EC5-BD8F-9BEA4A7C2695.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Hope is just fuel. If your sucking air it should mostly routed back to the tank.

Do you still have the bolt there or the bleed valve as shown. If the bolt leave it tight or you’ll have a big mess. With the valve it’s routed to back to the tank, invisibly via the fuel return