M25 Harness "upgrade"

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I'm not real happy with the harness upgrade kit from CD. I do have Bluesea terminal strip by the engine - but the connector that came in the kit seems hokey. Is there any reason not to replace this with two weatherpack connectors (so power stays on the female side) ?? I would think it would reduce corrosion at the cut and squish points. I don't have the amp gauge wired up and do have glowplug relay - so my biggest power draw there is the blower motor - and maybe starter solenoid.

I just don't see many weatherpack connectors on boats - lots on new cars. I did put one in to connect the power wires going up the mast.

Just wondering why there are not more of these connectors on boats.

Les

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Because they hadn't been invented when most of our boats were built? ;) They're a very dependable solution, however, even if they are "a car part" ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The connectors look like they would fit some situations on a boat. Perhaps the expense of the connector would be a factor. They also have limitations...
The system is rated 0.05–16.0 VDC, 0-20A. Weather Pack connector configurations are available for one to six wires.​
But for the right conditions a reasonable option.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I would like the ability to remove the console without having to clip a bunch of butt connectors. It also looks bad. My fat body also has contortion problems getting in the lazerette to do all the splicing. Crimping on a connector where I can pull the panel to work on it and pull the harness to a more manageable location is also a plus.

Stu I'll show you the result next time our paths cross

Les

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The biggest barriers/problem with Delphi Weather Pack connectors is usually boaters themselves... They usually don't want to invest in the proper tooling, insert and removal tools, wedges, pin & socket sets etc... My Weatherpack tool is US made and cost about $200 clams. I also have a cheaper "Weatherpack" tool, but it makes horrible crimps. Nothing wrong with Weatherpack just be prepared to invest in the tooling wedges, pins etc... Oh and don't buy the "Weatherpack" knock-offs the quality is not the same....