m-25XPB Alternator belt issue.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Just got another couple belts from Catalina Direct for my Universal engine. We changed out to the new water pump a year ago or so and had to go find a belt other than the CD belt I had. So anyway got these 2 new belts and thought I'd throw one on. Way too short. Can barley fir it on with the alternator pushed all the way in. Once I got belt on there was no way to hook up the pump hose that goes behind the alternator, No room at all for it. The pulley on the alternator would rub on the hose. We just took over this boat a few years ago and never had an issue till I changed out to the Oberdorfer pump. Has any of you running this engine ran into this.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If your Oberdorfer is secured with clamps on the flange, you can loosen the clamps and re-orient the pump, maybe.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Recommend you find the right GATES belt at Napa Auto and learn the proper length. It's hard, took me a few tries. The sizing is in width and a four digit #, mine is 7395, between 7400 too long and 7390, too short, 3/8" width. Once I learned, I bought a half a dozen. :)

Is there anyway you could connect to the engine side with hose, clamp to a short pipe and then to the pump inlet? I know, more clamps, but stops the rubbing.

You're not the only M25xpB owner who has the Oberdorfer pump, which is far superior to the Sherwood. Look around this site, many C310 owners have that engine.

Good luck.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have the Oberdorfer pump on my M25xpb. I am using the belts from Catalina Direct. They are a tight fit initially. Orientation of the pump is critical.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Heh Tom. By chance could you send me a pic on how your pump is mounted. Can these pumps be moved around to different positions. Ive looked at the pics of the Universal engine on Westerbeke site and in the manual. It seems i have it in the right spot but maybe off somewhat. I’m trying to remember if this pump moves around its circumference before you tighten the bolts. I think it did. Hell of a spot to work at it. I might cut an access hatch on the fibreglass right in front of the engine. Then i can see a lot better.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Just another add on here. Right now I’m using an automotive belt I found here where our boat is in Mexico. It works but doesn’t last long. Slowly chews apart. More than likely too wide. I’ll try and find a Gates belt but this is Mexico. Not much around here. There;s these stores called Autozone. Carries lots of things auto related but also Marine batteries. I’ll look here in next day or two.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Heh Tom. By chance could you send me a pic on how your pump is mounted. Can these pumps be moved around to different positions. Ive looked at the pics of the Universal engine on Westerbeke site and in the manual. It seems i have it in the right spot but maybe off somewhat. I’m trying to remember if this pump moves around its circumference before you tighten the bolts. I think it did. Hell of a spot to work at it. I might cut an access hatch on the fibreglass right in front of the engine. Then i can see a lot better.
I found an old, lousy,IMG_0611.jpg picture of my engine with the Sherwood pump. I think you can see the orientation of the pump (same as the Oberdorfer) to the alternator. Very close. At the bottom of the rusty housing of the pump, you might be able to see the clamp holding the flange in place. There is another on the other side of the flange. If I loosen these, I can rotate the pump in place. Some of the Universals have holes in the flange to mount the pump. There have been several threads on installing the Obers that would be helpful to you.
I tried automotive belts also, without much luck. They just created a lot of belt dust. There was a thread recently on this.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Thanks for the pic Tom. Ya, yours is about where mine’s located. Just not a lot of room left there. I’ll give it another try here. Going to be a very tight fit. And yes to the auto belts causing dust. Lots of it.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If your dusting belts you have an alignment issue or the V on a pulley is rough.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
No, Dusting of belt is from the wrong belt. All I could find here where I’m at in Mexico. Did play around yesterday with the pump fittings. Got them moved a little bit one way and now have about 1/4 in space between alt pulley and hose. I’m using the CD belt now. The pump can’t be moved on this setup. All should be good now. Thought I was doing something wrong. Have too many projects going on. Needed to concentrate on one at a time. LOL