Low speed control

Aug 24, 2014
Aphrodite 101 148 Coeur d Alene ID
Yanmar YSM8. When rpm's drop below about 1500 it 'kicks' into neutral. I'm looking for help on what to do to adjust so it will stay engaged at less than 1500.
Picture of throttle setup is attached.
Thanks,

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Are you saying that if you throttle back to an idle, the tranny shifts into neutral?

Do you have a single-lever engine control (throttle and tranny combined in 1 lever) ?

Greg

Aug 24, 2014
Aphrodite 101 148 Coeur d Alene ID
Yes, it is a single-lever engine control.
Yes, if I throttle back below 1500 it shifts into neutral.

Thanks,
Joe

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What does it idle at once you are in neutral? You might just need to decrease the idle speed adjustment.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Sounds to me that your shift/throttle lever is in need of attention, there is a button on the side of the shift lever which allows one to work the throttle without being in gear, that is where I would start looking,.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As others have said, the throttle and transmission linkages are independently adjustable. Hard to say what needs to be adjusted, but one or the other. As Daydreamer mentioned, there is also a button to the transmission linkage for starting the boat (when you want to give it some throttle, but don't want the boat in gear). If I remember on my Hunter280 that had the single lever throttle/tranny, i had to be in neutral to use the bottom (could not disengage while in gear...which makes sense I guess).

Look for an instruction manual for your specific throttle control (you did not tell us what manufacturer / model it is). I believe you can adjust at the throttle control, and you can certainly adjust the linkage at the tranny and engine throttle. I just don't know for sure what you need to do to fix it.

Sounds like an important thing to sort out though! Don't want to coming into a slip at WOT to keep her in gear, or having the tranny drop out of gear when you need it.

Good luck with your project. Let us know what sort of throttle control you have.

Greg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My single lever control is made by Volvo. I have nutral then the first movement into forward or reverse is a trolling speed... then moving it forward or reverse to excellerate there is a spring feel that you have to past.... otherwise it will bring the shifter back to trolling speed. Open the panel at the helm and watch how it works....
Good luck