Low maintenance exterior trim

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Hi All,
I've been lurking for a few months now and absorbing the wealth of knowledge in the forums. I decided it's time to contribute my efforts. My exterior wood was heavily weathered and needing to be replaced. Splits, cracks and raised grain precluded a refinish and I wanted a low maintenance option.

I found this product at a local Big Box store:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ChoiceDek-...-6-ft-Actual-1-47-in-x-3-41-in-x-6-ft/4642699

It ripped on the table saw and cut on the mitre saw very easily. Routing the groove for the crib board guides and sliding top rails was a "bit" of a challenge. I used low cost bits from Harbor Freight which dulled rapidly. Some quality bits from Lowes finished the job.

You'll notice I changed the teak handrail for stainless in the process:
https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Handrail-Grab-Handle-Flared/dp/B01LYED3P4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1505852354&sr=1-1&keywords=Boat+Handrail+/+Grab+Rail+Handle+15"+Flared+Base+-+Marine+316+Stainless+Steel+Hand+Rails

I had four loop grab rails with two bolts and three screws. Of course the holes on the stainless handles didn't line up, so I reused each end bolt hole and drilled two new holes. Finally, I tried out this two-part epoxy from Jamestown Distributors to fill the extra holes.

The slow hardener gave about 90 mins working time at 70 degree ambient. Way to long for this application. Lesson learned.

Oh yeah, a healthy dose of butyl tape around each fastener for waterproofing. That tip is via $tingySailor! This project improved the look and solved most of my leaks at the same time. The material comes in 3 colors, the Beach House Grey was in stock at my store and I kinda like the patina. Hopefully the composite will be low maintenance. Nice project for a couple of weekend's work.

Cheers
KBG

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
Looks good! the only thing I see being a problem is the forward end of the sliding hatch rails causing some serious pain if kicked with your foot. I would cut those on an angle to mitigate that.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
well done! a new(er) option other than starboard...let us know how it holds up, should be fine.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Looks cool!
I work at Lowes and my only 2 cents is that the ChoiceDek and similar products expand and contract with extreme temp changes. I don't know how cold your winters are but you might experience some warping.... keep us posted.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Since about 1995, the Catalina factory stopped putting exterior wood on their sailboats. The C-22 MK-II was the first version to eliminate any exterior wood. I miss the look of the wood, but after 8 + years, I must say I don't miss the maintenance. I did install a set of stainless steel railings on the cabin top from a C-320 to help with the "Clorox" bottle look, and to help prevent my feet from slipping when up top pulling down the mainsail. I recently purchased a little Potter-15 to play with and decided to eliminate the exterior wood that was pretty rough with some scrapes of Starboard, and a set of stainless steel handrails. Love just being able to rinse the boat down and walk away!

Don
CABIN TOP RAILS 116.jpg

IMG_4629.JPG

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
Looks good! the only thing I see being a problem is the forward end of the sliding hatch rails causing some serious pain if kicked with your foot. I would cut those on an angle to mitigate that.
Good observation. Probably owe $50 to the swear jar if I had to learn the hard way!

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
well done! a new(er) option other than starboard...let us know how it holds up, should be fine.
I was originally planning to use a uv resistant HDPE like Starboard. I couldn't find a local source with dimensional pieces. The ChoiceDek was standard 2x4 by 6 foot.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
Looks cool!
I work at Lowes and my only 2 cents is that the ChoiceDek and similar products expand and contract with extreme temp changes. I don't know how cold your winters are but you might experience some warping.... keep us posted.
This is my biggest concern with this material. Time will tell.... Got any other low maintenance materials suggestion if this falls short?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
One of the PO's of Bella did the same thing to all of the exterior trim. They were good with the saw and router. We love it. Haven't had any issues with expansion/contraction.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
This is my biggest concern with this material. Time will tell.... Got any other low maintenance materials suggestion if this falls short?
No help with other materials. I used starboard.....

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@kbgunn and @CaptDon01 Great posts. I've seen similar fake wood products for decking and always wondered how they would hold up under heating/cooling/UV.

Great info on what stainless handholds would fit.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
I'll take your old teak :) it's never too far gone.....
Too late. Guy in the slip next to me claimed the pieces as they were removed.
Is it really never to far gone? The grab rails had green moss growing on the underside! They would be about the width of toothpicks by the time you remove the rot and got down to good wood.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Had to try ;) there's always a point I suppose where you give up, but teak never ceases to amaze me-- 44 years of abuse and you can still do this: Love the modern spin on the starboard concept, however-- and when I'm sanding you'll be sailing.

20160428_042735113_iOS.jpg
File_002.jpeg

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Teak is such a lovely wood, not a scrap should be wasted any time. I broke a piece off the front of a locker on my new design boat and replaced the locker front with mahogany plywood and the teak with a piece of mahogany. 4 years later, I have given the teak pieces to some friends of mine who will use the wood to make a set of pens for the boat.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Well there is always that vinyl woodlike adhesive stuff and camo duct tape I suppose