LOUISA, what era is she from?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Old boat - not so old boat, I couldn't tell. LOUISA has been on jack stands getting a new topsides coating and just got launched yesterday.
Louisa_.jpg

She looked sort of modern below. The topsides are so smooth, I thought it was a glass hull. Then I saw an area below the waterline, sanded away, that showed planks. Plank on frame. Look at the finish! This is Alexseal, applied with brushes, not sprayed, outside in Maine in October.
Roll and tip topsides (1 of 1).jpg
The cabin house has a modern look. The ports are unique, I've seen similar on EU boats. Check out the sliding ports. Unusual. And nicely finished with wood moulding details.
She was getting prepped for a maintenance coat of varnish.
Louisa house.jpg
Then I found her online today, LOUISA is Italian! Built at the Sangermani yard in Italy, about 50 years ago. No wonder it threw me, I'm used to looking at classic New England boats.
Louisa NE yachts.jpg

Italy has always had it's own design style, even 50 years ago. I need to expand,...
I love most anything Italian, especially their unique design style.

You don't like it? I'm sure there is a unique Italian hand gesture, just for you.

Today. It's amazing what a thin coat of varnish can do. I love the bimini and the 'rack' to help with the mainsail. LOUISA is a 65' long, Italian, yawl. I like her.
Louisa coat of varnish.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
LOUISA is a 65' long, Italian, yawl. I like her.
Thanks for sharing! I like her too, but I'm afraid the yard bills are a bit out of my reach. OK, so maybe a lot more than a bit out of my reach.

Love the nautical eye candy. Wish I could get to Maine more often to see it in person.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
That is a beautiful boat! A classic example of someone updating her on a regular basis as well as maintaining her. Bravo!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'd compare LOUISA to a middle aged Italian woman, more beautiful because of her years.

You look across millennias in Italy, maybe that's where their design comes from. I took this photo a couple years ago in Venice. Kids in an ancient setting, everyday life there.
Gondolier_.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There are many eye stopping women in Italy. The ladies I shared still turn heads... Like the boat LOUISA.
Of course the wine helps... Nice shot of the couple. The sweater on the guy looks Irish not Italian...
Most of the gondolas we saw were tourist boats, not rides for young Venetian. We were scheduled to take a ride one evening when a thunderstorm hit drenching St Marks plaza with 2 inches of rain. We decided to stay in the hotel garden under an awning watching the Venice skyline light up with each flash (like an old time flash bulb) and finish a fine bottle of Chianti instead. There will be another evening on a boat but not another show like that.