Looking to upgrade our sailing experience

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Looking for insights and advise on selecting the right sails and equipment. Specifically, using a Code Zero vs. an asymmetrical spinnaker in light to moderate summertime wind in the Puget Sound area. I'm more interested in versatility and a boosting performance in a broader range of wind angles and conditions than in outright performance in a specific situation or condition.

Background; my wife and I have been sailing for about 10 years, maybe a little less. We sail in light wind in the Puget Sound, only between May and late October. We started sailing with a club and a Catalina Capri 22. The first boat we owned was a Beneteau First 285, we now have an Oceanis 34. With the 34, we've basically doubled our accommodations space (over the First 285), and we are loving the time that we spend cruising our region.

But now we would like to upgrade our sailing experience to match the upgrade in our accommodations, especially in light to moderate wind. The 285 was very light and had a great sail plan for the light wind area where we sail, which is exactly why I searched for it. The Oceanis 34 has given us that stability that we were looking for in more open parts of the sound and beyond, but it takes a fair amount of breeze just to get it moving. I don't want to rely on motoring to get us from one spot to the next, I'd like to be able to sail whenever it's possible. We have an asymmetrical spinnaker, but find it a little cumbersome.

P.S., feel free to chime in on things like whisker poles vs. spinnaker poles, preventers, and even level setting WRT how far we should realistically be looking to travel in a day...
Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave.
You really need to define the sailing need. The Code 0 can be designed to do different things.
  1. Wind range up to 8 knots
  2. Narrow angled flat or full girthed
  3. 80 to 135 degrees upwind reacher or
  4. 90 - 160 down wind reacher.
We are no longer in Kansas anymore. Creativity is the name of the game. With a top down furler system the Code 0 sail can be handled by a short handed crew.

At the same time you may define your goals in such a way as to find the Asymmetrical a better fit. Or perhaps you need both sails as they can be set up to handle a narrower range of wind speed and angle of wind meeting specific conditions.

Nov 21, 2007
Dave.
You really need to define the sailing need. The Code 0 can be designed to do different thing...

Or perhaps you need both sails as they can be set up to handle a narrower range of wind speed and angle of wind meeting specific conditions.
Keeping both sails is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. My sailing need is increased versatility, not multiple narrowly focused performance windows. I have an asymmetrical spinnaker. I'm asking if I buy a Code 0 (and/or other components), might I see a broader range of performance, like I remember from the (much larger) genoa that I had on the (much lighter) First 285? What components should I consider and what skills do I need to develop?

If you're saying that the Code 0 can be either upwind or downwind, but not both, then I'll wait for the skills advise.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sounds like both of you already have necessary skills, it seems you`re just looking for an all purpose reaching sail that`s easy to handle. So I can't imagine a more versatile, crew friendly system than a top down furler on a retractable bowsprit. Regarding sail choice, my strongest inclination is to talk to a local sail loft. Looking for a sail to perform in 60 to 135 degree true should be directed to someone who can come to your boat to inspect, analyze and advise based on all the above. Don't go cheap. This is a major investment ($5,000+) so you want to get it right.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If you invest in a top down furler for your asymmetrical you might be surprised at how easy that sail can be handled, my wife and I can easily fly ours and it works very well on those light air days.

Oct 22, 2014
Dave.
First define the sailing area and conditions you are focused on sailing.
  • example... Fair weather, wind range 5-12 knots, mostly reaching
The South Sound has a North/South orientation. The winds are strong in storms but due to the Olymipcs and the peninsula along the west edge of the sound, moderate to light winds dominate the summer due to the wind shadow. If your cruising is day sailing then I would guess you are talking about the area from Seattle to Olympia.
  • Given these parameter and the Code 0 may be a good choice. Cut fuller not flatter due to the predominate reaching conditions of westerly breezes. I'm assuming you are not a big fan of the beat into the wind return from Seattle and are more likely to fire up the iron genny.
  • You may find that sailing in other than a direct line lets you use the Code 0 as compared to other sails you may have aboard.
If on the other hand, you are an adventurer and spending your time in the San Juan's and north in the Salish Sea where the wind may vary around the points of a compass... Or you are going off shore.
  • Then you may find that the Asymmetrical provides a more versatile sail arrangement with a deeper downwind capability and heavier wind range.
Both sails can have different rigging that makes it easier to handle based on your specific situation. I like to handle my sails at the mast so I am rigged that way. I have friends on the dock that think I am a fool and will not leave their cockpit unless pressed having all the lines run to winches and clutches on the cabin top.

Cruising is all about compromise when it comes to sail selection, rigging and sail course selection.

Nov 21, 2007
John,
Thanks for choosing an example, it's fairly close. We're adventurer wannabes, for as long as we're still able to physically handle the adventures. We'll sail in wind to 15 kts. without hesitation, and it doesn't really get old until we've been at it for several hours, or unless we find ourselves in a narrow channel or inlet where one tack always seems to end up perpendicular to our destination. I'd rather not fire up the iron genny unless it starts getting too late, or too cold to continue sailing. We know that we need more experience in stronger wind, but we have been more likely to find ourselves in breezes that are too light for our travel plans rather than too strong.

Our 'cruising' consists of day trips between destinations anywhere from Olympia, north. We are based in Tacoma and do daysails, one to three night trips either north or south, and put together a two week trip in August that went from Tacoma to Olympia and then back north all the way to Galiano Island in Canada (and back). Next year, we hope to get even farther north. We want to tackle the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Strait of Georgia (hopefully in GOOD conditions!), but we may not have any real 'big' off shore aspirations (and those two should be big enough!).

Oct 22, 2014
The Juan dFuca and the strait of Georgia are serious water. If storming I’d stay in harbor. I have yet to go North up the Georgia but have crossed the Juan dFuca several times.

She has been quiet and gentle when I have crossed her. But she deserves respect.

Nov 21, 2007
A friend of mine, who was a merchant marine captain, said some of the worst weather he's ever been in was on the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We want to tackle the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Strait of Georgia (hopefully in GOOD conditions!)
I've only sailed here for a year. The summer winds in the Strait of Georgia seem to be either NW or SE, same in the Gulf Islands. de Fuca come from the west in the afternoons - if they are from the west in the morning you just don't want to be out there in the afternoon! :) Seems to be some contradictions in wind directions for trying to choose "one" sail. Good luck.

Nov 21, 2007
Stu,
I'm not on here as frequently or as diligently as I once was... hadn't noticed your location... welcome to the neighborhood! Great to be able to directly relate to your insights and advice! Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
Yes the Juan dFuca deserves a sailors respect.
It is easy to be lulled into sense of "What's everyone talking about?" when you have a crossing from Port Townsend to Cattle Point on a day like this.
Image is from Cattle Point looking South towards the Olympics across Juan dFuca Strait.
IMG_1294.JPG

As Stu has proven with his cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver Island, a passage is all about planning.