Looking to buy a Catalina 27 or 30

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yeah, what John said. The 270 is a way different boat than the 27, and has as much, or more room than the 30. Except for the steering gear cover in the berth. That's a pain. Literally.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
One other thing: have a look at the Catalina 28 - MUCH nicer than the 27, but still not as expensive for moorage etc. as the 30.

druid

Mar 9, 2016
Irwin Citation 38 Madeira Beach
One other thing: have a look at the Catalina 28 - MUCH nicer than the 27, but still not as expensive for moorage etc. as the 30.

druid
Thanks I will take a look. The boat will be kept on our dock, so mooring costs thankfully are not an issue for us.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I would go for the shoal draft keel unless you plan to race. Going to the weather mark is critical in a race, but most cruising courses are not hard on the wind. I can only think of a couple of long (8 hour) legs when I was frustrated by having to give up 10 degrees off the wind. Motor sailing is sometimes the solution.

Mar 9, 2016
Irwin Citation 38 Madeira Beach
I would go for the shoal draft keel unless you plan to race. Going to the weather mark is critical in a race, but most cruising courses are not hard on the wind. I can only think of a couple of long (8 hour) legs when I was frustrated by having to give up 10 degrees off the wind. Motor sailing is sometimes the solution.
I fully intend to - the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Diesel upgrade. That alone makes it worthwhile. Might even had the plywood removed from the bilge to keel configuration. She looks clean and well maintained. The asking price is reaonable. $ 10,000 should buy it.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I read on Sailing Anarchy that Dennis Connor bought a tall rig Catalina 30 and has spent over 100k fixing her up.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I read on Sailing Anarchy that Dennis Connor bought a tall rig Catalina 30 and has spent over 100k fixing her up.
DC would race on a floating turd if he thought he could make the ratings work out in his favor. He get a favorably rated boat (due to sub-par crew work, rigging and sails) and hot-rods it. Plays with the edges of the rules. Once he put a single long batten in his jib, because the rule said a jib could not have BATTENS. Eventually it pulls the rating of the boat in line with how he sails it then he moves on. He has a history of this kind of stunt.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
If you're considering a 270, I'd look instead at a Capri 26. Very similar in layout, much better use of space than the old 27, a big enclosed head, and full queen aft berth. Plus the wide side decks and open transom of the 270.
And there are diesel or outboard versions, and wing or fin.
The thing is, the Capri 26 will literally sail circles around a 270. Fast in light wind, quick to accelerate, stable in heavier wind.
Also you can get it with a tiller, not available on the 270. I prefer a tiller for sailing, plus on the 26 it frees up huge amounts of space in the already large cockpit. And removes the hideous steering box from the aft berth.
If you get the outboard version, it opens up the space under the companionway, allowing more room/easier access to the aft berth. And, they then use the diesel tank behind the aft berth bulkhead as a 2nd, selectable water tank, increasing fresh water capacity by 12 gallons for a total of 27. The gas tank is then located in a cockpit locker outside the cabin.

Last edited: